Thread: Incorrect WEP key?

Just burned his ISO

Default Incorrect WEP key?

Ok, iv installed backtrack 3 and have tried both spoonwep and using the konsole to crack my WEP network. However using both methods I end up getting the key.
    KEY FOUND! [ D1:7A:61:FE:5F ]
    Decrypted correctly: 100%

This is not my key and I cannot log in with this key when I type D17A61FE5F. D1 isnt even an alphanumerical character....obviously iv done something wrong, can someone pleas help. Thanks.

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

The key is perfectly fine, the thing you are doing wrong is a lack of understanding/research into how to do basics with Linux. I suggest you hit up one of the thousands of basics pages, especially the ones available to you in the Ubuntu forums, and go from there.

You also should take some time to look into the basics of how WEP works, and what alpha numeric passwords are.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xcmir View Post
    This is not my key and I cannot log in with this key when I type D17A61FE5F.
    If this is not your key then whose is it ?

D1 isnt even an alphanumerical character
    well actually on one hand it would be two alphanumerical characters. Other people would refer to it as hexadecimal characters.
    obviously iv done something wrong, can someone pleas help. Thanks.
    There are numerous things that pop into my mind at this point but I will leave those be at the moment.
    As is suggested above find yourself a tutorial on wep cracking.
    My suggestion would be one of the myriad on this topic locate here on the forums and go from there.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.