Thread: Partition Type

Just burned his ISO

Default Partition Type

Hello, I'm running the ubiquity script from the live CD, sadly the guided option doesn't work out the way I want it to so I have to-do it manually. My question is when doing it manually whats good practice for the swap size? I believe I was told it should be half the amount of ram you have? is this correct? Also what type of partition should the root be? I know it's not ntsf or fat but ext2, ext3? etc. Please Advise.

Thank you.

-Mike Hawk

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikehawk View Post
    Hello, I'm running the ubiquity script from the live CD, sadly the guided option doesn't work out the way I want it to so I have to-do it manually. My question is when doing it manually whats good practice for the swap size? I believe I was told it should be half the amount of ram you have? is this correct? Also what type of partition should the root be? I know it's not ntsf or fat but ext2, ext3? etc. Please Advise.

Thank you.

-Mike Hawk
    The beauty of using linux is that you can create things the way you want it to.
    So for swap size unless you have maybe less than 1 gig of ram you probably don't need a swap partition in most cases. But generally if you are going to make one then make it the same size of bigger than the available memory.
    If you only have 512 mb of ram then why not make a 1 gig swap file (given you have the hdd space). The only real limiting factors are the amount of ram you physically have, the hdd space, and whether or not you expect the swap partition to be used a lot. The latter will affect the drives performance/life-span.
    Same really applies to the partitions, but generally the best practice is to use a journaling type files system for root. Mut's generally uses the reiserfs in the tutorials. I would suggest you take a bit of time to look into this before going further. In most cases it probably won't matter what you use but then again it might.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.