Thread: Airmon-ng doesn't show anything?

Just burned his ISO

Default Airmon-ng doesn't show anything?

I figured this must be asked a million times already so I did a search to 'airmon-ng' but I didn't find a resolution to my problem.

I followed this video tutorial on how to crack WEP with backtrack using VMWare.
    But I'm pretty much stuck at step 1:
    When I enter airmon-ng in the shell console nothing comes up ( sitting next to my router for 5 minutes ).
    I found out most people have this problem because their network adaptor isn't recognized by VMWARE, but my actually is recognized but still it doesn't show anything.

Does anyone know what the problem can be & how to fix it?

I have a screenshot but:
    You are only allowed to post URLs ( or images ) to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more.
    So please send me a PM if you don't understand my problem so I can send you a screenshot of the problem

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pietpatat View Post
    I figured this must be asked a million times already so I did a search to 'airmon-ng' but I didn't find a resolution to my problem.

When I enter airmon-ng in the shell console nothing comes up ( sitting next to my router for 5 minutes ).
    I found out most people have this problem because their network adaptor isn't recognized by VMWARE, but my actually is recognized but still it doesn't show anything.

I have a screenshot but:
    So please send me a PM if you don't understand my problem so I can send you a screenshot of the problem
    You have not grasped the basics of how all this works. I suggest you go read through the aircrack-ng web pages (there is a lot of documentation to consume), then watch about 40 youtube video's until you get it. THEN go through the video section of the forums.

Once you get it, it will all make sense
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Just burned his ISO

I have the same issue when running airmon-ng.

Quote Originally Posted by Pietpatat View Post

I have a screenshot but:

Pietpatat & balla welcome to forums.

The solution for your problem is to listen very carefully what Gitsnik told you to do. Don't expect to see only one video and you are ready to go. Read - watch -read - watch. You have to try a little bit harder. There is no easy way, but on the other hand it's not that difficult as it sounds. Then, when you understand the whole think and you re-read this post, you will realize how ridiculous looks like that kind of posts.

Keep trying

Nick

At the least, you should post details about your wireless cards, that is a very common hiccup that gets newbies. For example, understand that not all wireless cards are supported because drivers have not been installed that support the kind of advanced operations that these attacks require (like monitor mode, channel hopping, injection, mac spoofing).

as a noob to backtrack, but a decent linux user, i strongly suggest to all noobs having issues to read the getting started documentation at aircrack-ng's website

this documentation alone got me cracking my home network in much less time than i predicted