Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fire protection in Server Room

Quote Originally Posted by radioraiders View Post
    So water sprinklers in server rooms are the norm?
    I'm in the same boat as Streaker. Our building has been cut apart and repartitioned so many times it's not funny. I just got the hvac guy to install dampers on the ducts in the server room a few months ago. Got tired of the visquine and duct tape method of closing them off in the winter months. The room has it's own ac system, but it's nice to have the added cooling capacity in the summer from the building's ac, just don't need the heat in the winter.... The building isn't ours, so we can't do a lot of modification to it, and I just found out we may be moving in the next 6 months or so, oh joy!

Quote Originally Posted by floyd View Post

Wouldn't that kill everybody who is in the room?
    Unfortunately humans are just as dependant on oxygen as fire. Usually these types of systems are used in areas where people don't normally inhabit.

I've been in lots of server rooms with sprinklers, the arguement seems to be that fire is more of a danger to the electronics and storage than water. i.e.: Yes you might short some things out but you'll have a better chance of recovering data.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    I've been in lots of server rooms with sprinklers, the arguement seems to be that fire is more of a danger to the electronics and storage than water. i.e.: Yes you might short some things out but you'll have a better chance of recovering data.
    I would agree with this, but I would also argue that if you have the cash to put in a really nice data center, then you should also have budgeted for a non-water suppressant system.

Something that removes the oxygen from the room is going to put out a fire faster than water, and not be as much of a mess to clean up, so your recovery time is going to be a lot less.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Something that removes the oxygen from the room is going to put out a fire faster than water, and not be as much of a mess to clean up, so your recovery time is going to be a lot less.
    Unless it removes O2 from the admin, too. Of course, that does help with stimulating the economy with new jobs.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Unless it removes O2 from the admin, too. Of course, that does help with stimulating the economy with new jobs.
    That's the BoFH method of job growth.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    That's the BoFH method of job growth.
    You say that like it's a bad thing.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    So we should also install halon sprinklers in the management's offices. Then I wouldn't have to move a freaking building.....

Just burned his ISO

I think it depends on budget and purpose. High end facilities such as data centres and central government facilities all seem to use gas based suppressant systems (idk what type of gas). It is now quite common to have sensors and extinguisher in each rack as well as in the server room overall.

Quote Originally Posted by citrix3k View Post
    I think it depends on budget and purpose. High end facilities such as data centres and central government facilities all seem to use gas based suppressant systems (idk what type of gas). It is now quite common to have sensors and extinguisher in each rack as well as in the server room overall.
    This is true. We're a small facility but because we have a water based sprinkler where our servers are, we are going to be looking into capping it and putting in a gas based system just for that room.

When I get some information and pricing back I'll post it, and what was done so others may consider doing something similar.

I've been in areas where there were Halon and CO2 systems. Of course the emergency air masks were OUTSIDE of the room, not where the Halon system was. I asked what is the plan if the Halon system is activated.

"Hold your breath and run." was the reply.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast