Thread: can connect only to some networks

Just burned his ISO

Default can connect only to some networks

HI.

Me and my neighbour have been testing wireless attacks using wep and wpa on each other. he can connect to my router (wpa2 aes) and his own (wep open) but i can connect to only mine. i changed mine to wep and it connects ok it just wont connect to his. he has verified the wep key is correct. Could this be my wireless card? do some cards not connect to some routers? or could it be the length of the key is not supported? I have been searching the forums and google and i cant find any other instances of this. I even tried another network card and again it fails. i would like to try another network but i am not friendly with all of my neighours (well not friendly enough to ask if i can try to penetrate their network) so this isnt possible

Thanks for help

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by popadom View Post
    HI.Me and my neighbour have been testing wireless attacks using wep and wpa on each other. he can connect to my router (wpa2 aes) and his own (wep open) but i can connect to only mine. i changed mine to wep and it connects ok it just wont connect to his. he has verified the wep key is correct. Could this be my wireless card? do some cards not connect to some routers? or could it be the length of the key is not supported? I have been searching the forums and google and i cant find any other instances of this. I even tried another network card and again it fails. i would like to try another network but i am not friendly with all of my neighours (well not friendly enough to ask if i can try to penetrate their network) so this isnt possible
    Thanks for help
    Yeah that all sounds legit.
    Hey why don't you tell us what tools, applications and under what OS you are doing this. Don't forget to include specifics of your steps and the point in which you reach failure.
    It might serve to do some reading about connecting to wireless networks.
    Try here if you are indeed using some flavor of linux.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

I figured it out. The routers signal strength was more powerful than my wireless card so i could see the ap but not connect. I could auth but dhcp wouldn't work. i could see via wireshark that dhcp requests were being sent but no offers were beig recieved so i can only assume that the dhcp broadcasts werent being recieved by the ap