Thread: Scripts On Boot.

Just burned his ISO

Talking Scripts On Boot.

I would first like to say Hi. BT4 newbie here. I'm not new to linux (I've been Windows free for 6 years) but I still consider myself a scrub. I don't know when I can help, but I'll do my best to help when I can. Ha. I foresee a long good relationship between me and everyone on these forums. Ha

So I'm a little confused.

I googled the configuration set-up on Casper. But before I tried the configuration method, I noticed that my USB install was saving all of my configuration changes. I then went to go modify the config, and the code seemed to be set up as far as I could tell by comparing the code I nabbed. Does BT4 come with Casper properly configured?

And that leads me to my second question. I want to have Yakuake and WiCd to start on boot.

So are there any settings that I have ignorantly not properly set up or do I just have to throw together a script? And lastly, I can't seem to find the BT4 version of /etc/init.d/boot.local on teh nets. What is it's location? Is it possible on a Persistent USB install?

Sorry about the new post, but Google wasn't proving fruitful and I didn't find any similar post on these forums.

Developer

The proper way is to use update-rc.d. you can start wicd by update-rc.d wicd defaults

Like so: update-rc.d apache2 defaults
    Adding system startup for /etc/init.d/apache2 ...
    /etc/rc0.d/K20apache2 -> ../init.d/apache2
    /etc/rc1.d/K20apache2 -> ../init.d/apache2
    /etc/rc6.d/K20apache2 -> ../init.d/apache2
    /etc/rc2.d/S20apache2 -> ../init.d/apache2
    /etc/rc3.d/S20apache2 -> ../init.d/apache2
    /etc/rc4.d/S20apache2 -> ../init.d/apache2
    /etc/rc5.d/S20apache2 -> ../init.d/apache2

Quote Originally Posted by Existentialist View Post
    I would first like to say Hi. BT4 newbie here. I'm not new to linux (I've been Windows free for 6 years) but I still consider myself a scrub. I don't know when I can help, but I'll do my best to help when I can. Ha. I foresee a long good relationship between me and everyone on these forums. Ha

So I'm a little confused.

I googled the configuration set-up on Casper. But before I tried the configuration method, I noticed that my USB install was saving all of my configuration changes. I then went to go modify the config, and the code seemed to be set up as far as I could tell by comparing the code I nabbed. Does BT4 come with Casper properly configured?

And that leads me to my second question. I want to have Yakuake and WiCd to start on boot.

So are there any settings that I have ignorantly not properly set up or do I just have to throw together a script? And lastly, I can't seem to find the BT4 version of /etc/init.d/boot.local on teh nets. What is it's location? Is it possible on a Persistent USB install?

Sorry about the new post, but Google wasn't proving fruitful and I didn't find any similar post on these forums.
    Question:

Would having Wicd start up on boot interfere with the Aircrack suite? I would think it might be better to start it as needed instead of on boot (just my humble opinion).

Just burned his ISO

I'd prefer to have it so it starts automatically, then I kill it when I'd like to use Aircrack.

I'm not going to be doing as much of the Wifi testing as everything else. Ha