Thread: ralink rt2870 issues @ bt4pf ( linksys wusb600n )

Just burned his ISO

Question ralink rt2870 issues @ bt4pf ( linksys wusb600n )

Hi all,
    A few days ago I went out and bought a Linksys WUSB600N featuring a ralink rt2870 chipset (it's a Wireless-N USB network adapter with dual-band from Linksys by Cisco).
    It was listed as tested here at the RE forums ( hxxp://backtrack.offensive-security.com/index.php/HCL:Wireless#Linksys_WUSB600N ).

problem:
    But now it seems, there are only drivers available for bt3 and bt4beta . That's really too bad, because I happen to use bt4 prefinal. I tried the hirte and the nemesis drivers, but obviously those will only work with bt3.

possible sollution i've tried:
    I found this awesome guide written by apocolypse269 ( hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/bt4beta-working-hardware/23343-rt2870-bt4-guide-working-4.html ).
    Originally Posted by apocolipse269
    getting this chipset working properly with BT4 (or any linux 2.6.27+).
    Well, 'uname -r' tells me that my bt4pf uses kernel 2.6.29.4 (that's 2.6.27+ isn't it?).
    Anywayz, when following all steps in apocolipse's guide, the compiler returned with "make: *** [LINUX] Error 2".
    the device just won't be recognised. I know the original ralink drivers for linux don't support injection, but I thought I might give it a shot, because seeing it running in the first place, will make me feel a lot better, and i'll just have to use it for monitoring only (i can inject with my atheros anyway, if i want to). I tried to download the linux drivers from ralink directly, but well... see for yourself, the link on their support site seems dead somehow... ( hxxp://web.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html ).

Well, thank y'all very much for listening. This doesn't help me one bit, but I'm glad I got it off my chest :P

If somebody has a sollution to this issue, please people! let's hear it!

Thanks in advance you guys!

I believe with bt4pf you'll need to extract the linux source first and probably symlink /usr/src/linux-2.6.29.4 -> /usr/src/linux.. however there's 2.6.30.5 in the repo which may help with your situation.

With bt4pf rt28xx drivers were included in the repo and are probably provided, if those didn't work I'd check dmesg for information.

Just burned his ISO

I never got this chipset to fully work neither on BT3, nor on BT4 beta or prefinal.
    It scans a specific range of channels, not all.

BT3 contains very old kernel, that and I'm doubtful of other packages that could make a 802.11n capable device any easier to use.

Your best luck is at bt4 pre-final and the updated kernel that's sitting in the repo. Works for community derived driver (serialmonkey) is in progress and that will require bleeding edge kernel and/or compat-wireless.