Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Gary McKinnon lost his battle to stand trial in the UK

  1. #21
    Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    8,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aj123 View Post
    Quite simply put the extradition treaties are an absolutely one sided affair, without bleating on about them, check them out for yourselves.In short the onus on presenting evidence to extradite someone from the UK to the USA amounts to him having to prove he didn't do it, and not the US having to present any real evidence he did,conversly if the UK wishes to extradite an american, what they have to present is just about overwhelming proof of guilt.
    Actually an Extradition Treaty does not have nor need to prove guilt that is what the actual trial is for. Therefore the treaty merely serves as a guide. Did a particular person have cause to commit a particular crime. If so where should the person stand trial to determine innocence or guilt for said crime.
    Also did the supposed crime take place or effect a county or countries where such a treaty is in effect. The guy supposedly committed (a) crime/s against another country where such a treaty exists, since this is the case (guilt at this point is irrelevant) then that person should stand trial in said country.

    As for the Mod's stepping in and banning you with the attitude that you are displaying here:
    One more word from me and it looks like Ill be getting banned, oh dear here it comes.............why wont the US extradite Colon Powell to the Hague as requested....? and Donald Rumsfeld...? They comitted crimes in too numerous to mention Nation states, or shouldn't they pay for it there..?
    This discussion is now going nowhere co's the mods obviously don't want it too, more likely they would just love to wield a bit power to satisfy their egos.
    Im off to work, whatever you say guys .....after all your in charge..
    Will most likely get you banned. There is really no room or need for it here on this forum. It will inevitably piss someone off! So leave it out and you will probably be OK.
    flags are for ignorant fools(patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels, some president said that)
    As for flags and patriotism there really is no place for that here either. While there may be a huge American Membership here and they may all feel different about their and other countries, there are several of us that have been or are in other countries and are proud of what we have, if that is a bad thing then so be it. But again don't let your own personal politics take first place in the conversation, stick to facts not opinions. Generally the best way to do so it to also leave references for said facts.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Thorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Green Dome
    Posts
    1,509

    Default

    This is a non-issue. Trials are held in the place where the crime was committed and where the victim had the loss. That is standard criminal procedure the world over, and extradition treaties are set up to recognize this fact and allow accused criminals to be returned to the location of the crime so that they may stand trial.

    This whole thread is nothing more than a transparent attempt by some people to push a political agenda(s).

    As for McKinnon, my opinion on him is that same as anyone else accused of a crime: Let him stand trial. If he's acquitted, then he can go home to the UK. If he's convicted, he can be thrown in a US jail like any other felon who's committed a crime against the US.

    Quote Originally Posted by aj123 View Post
    (patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels, some president said that)
    Actually, that was said by Samuel Johnson, the 18th century British author. He made the statement on 7 April 1775, and the actual quote is "Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." Contrary to popular belief, the line is not about patriotism in general, but rather a attack by Johnson against John Stuart, 3rd Earl of Bute and his supporters, for what Johnson considered a false use of the term "patriotism". If you're going to use a quote, please as least be correct in the application, and attribute it to the correct person.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

  3. #23
    My life is this forum Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Actually, that was said by Samuel Johnson, the 18th century British author. He made the statement on 7 April 1775, and the actual quote is "Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." Contrary to popular belief, the line is not about patriotism in general, but rather a attack by Johnson against John Stuart, 3rd Earl of Bute and his supporters, for what Johnson considered a false use of the term "patriotism". If you're going to use a quote, please as least be correct in the application, and attribute it to the correct person.
    Damn dude! You have a good memory.

  4. #24
    Senior Member streaker69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA
    Posts
    3,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Damn dude! You have a good memory.
    He just referred to his notes when he attended that meeting. When he was a little younger he used to take minutes on all the important meetings of the day.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

  5. #25
    prowl3r
    Guest

    Default

    In my opinion, this thread is a non-issue, it is against the rules (both the forum and common sense) and should have been avoided. Furthermore, I'm surprised to see seniors feeding the fire and/or taking sides here.

  6. #26
    Moderator theprez98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Actually, that was said by Samuel Johnson, the 18th century British author. He made the statement on 7 April 1775, and the actual quote is "Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." Contrary to popular belief, the line is not about patriotism in general, but rather a attack by Johnson against John Stuart, 3rd Earl of Bute and his supporters, for what Johnson considered a false use of the term "patriotism". If you're going to use a quote, please as least be correct in the application, and attribute it to the correct person.
    Oh, snap! (yeah, I said it)
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

  7. #27
    Moderator theprez98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,533

    Default

    Ok kids, the party's over.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •