Thread: hidden AP

Just burned his ISO

Post hidden AP

hey everyone,
    my first question is, is it technically possible to hide an AP
    2, when using airodump-ng, i see some ESSID < lenght : 0>, what is this exacly and is using a 158 channel. in fact i know that wireless cards use only 1-11 channel. so what could that be ?also one way to force it display its name is by deuath. but since its on 158 its impossible to do it.
    any ideas ??

Quote Originally Posted by abourrog View Post
    my first question is, is it technically possible to hide an AP
    Sure. Turn it off, put it under the bed. Put a pile of clothes on top of it to hide it extra well.

If you wanted to know whether its possible to hide the AP from wireless detection while still allowing it to provide services to clients, however, then the answer is no. You would need to prevent the wireless signals emitting from the AP from reaching the clients to hide an AP from wireless detection, which is possible, but stopping the signal in this way also prevents legitimate access to the AP.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Read this:
    hxxp://trac.aircrack-ng.org/ticket/670

It's and airodump-ng bug related to hidden SSID's

If you don't know the channel you can try with mdk3, but only in a controlled environment and with permission. You don't want to DoS all the wifi connections around you. Somebody can kick your ass if you do it or FBI can go to visit you at home

P.D Wifi channels in 8011.b/g are 1 to 14 not 1 to 11
    Google is your best friend :D

Just burned his ISO

thanks for the replys.
    my mistake channels from 1-14, but what about those channels like 133 and 158 etc.... that i see sometimes with the ESSID < lenght :0 >
    what is this exacly ?? even though there is a client associated to that ESSID, actually cant deauth, since the channel is on 138, which is out of reach of the wireless interface which is 1-14, any ideas ??

Quote Originally Posted by abourrog View Post
    thanks for the replys.
    my mistake channels from 1-14, but what about those channels like 133 and 158 etc.... that i see sometimes with the ESSID < lenght :0 >
    what is this exacly ?? even though there is a client associated to that ESSID, actually cant deauth, since the channel is on 138, which is out of reach of the wireless interface which is 1-14, any ideas ??
    It's an airodump-ng bug, it shows channel 133 or channel but 158 but this isn't the channel, the true channel is 14 or one channel between 1-14. But airodump-ng make a mistake and show you 133, 158, etc
    Google is your best friend :D