Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help w/ installing BT4 via UNetbootin

prowl3r

Hey =TAPE=, I noticed your profile has just been abducted. By the way, I had a look at your blog, nice and interesting stuff there, keep it up.

@ OP: Whatever the method you decide to follow, ensure you have a copy of your valuable files, partitions, disks. By doing that, everything will be reversible.

Quote Originally Posted by =TAPE= View Post
    Not sure I get this, you ARE able to isntall BT4 Pre F using unetbootin..

Just download the iso and point to the download location in netbootin instead of choosing from the drop-down list..
    Then when the usb drive is completed you can use that usb to install to either another USB for a persistent install or on your hdd.

There are also possibilities for easily creating a multi-boot USB drive with for instance BT3 + BT4 + OphCrack etc etc..

Hak5 did a show on it a while and I posted on it a while ago as well.
    Code:
    http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13842
    Thanks for the input however due to my system's limitations booting from a USB drive is proving to be too difficult of an operation. I would rather spend more time using the software than spending two weeks learning how to overcome my systems limitations to install it.

The best thing for my situation would be to get a DVD burner and burn the ISO to it and install that way. Installing a disk image to a HDD via UNetbootin does not seem to be possible (may work for pen drives and comps who's motherboards are capable of booting to USB drives, but not mine). I've tried the software on the link of the Hack5 video and my external HDD is Fat32 but way too much of a challenge.

I would like to suggest to the BT Dev team that it might be better to abandon including a full blown OS in Backtrack 4 and stick to their knitting of compiling a great Pentest distro or software package or make a distro model similar to Unbuntu (where the core OS can be burned onto a CD instead of a DVD) or, setup a distro something similar to the way PartedMagic is set up (where the Linux OS is a basic GIU but having the great tools that BT has).

But I'm far from being a developer or a programmer so I have no insight as to what goes on into creating software like this. I'm just an enduser with about 25 years experience of using computers.

I would like to say thanks to BT as it has finally opened me up to Linux and I'm on the path of leaving the Microsoft OS!!!

BT is awesome and the help on here has been great!

Keep up the great work!

GH

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prowl3r View Post
    Hey =TAPE=, I noticed your profile has just been abducted. By the way, I had a look at your blog, nice and interesting stuff there, keep it up.

@ OP: Whatever the method you decide to follow, ensure you have a copy of your valuable files, partitions, disks. By doing that, everything will be reversible.
    Thanks prowl3r
    The profile has been like that for a while, for some reason the link seems to be looking for -TAPE- instead of =TAPE= ..

@ Goldhedge

I think the progression of BackTrack as it is being done is the best way forward in view of its popularity and the need for updates..

To be honest using the usb is imo better than the cd / dvd, its more responsive. Me thinks time you need to upgrade

And getting the multi-boot usb up and running is really a pretty easy thing to do, there are quite a few steps involved, but its not difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by =TAPE= View Post
    Thanks prowl3r
    The profile has been like that for a while, for some reason the link seems to be looking for -TAPE- instead of =TAPE= ..

@ Goldhedge

I think the progression of BackTrack as it is being done is the best way forward in view of its popularity and the need for updates..

To be honest using the usb is imo better than the cd / dvd, its more responsive. Me thinks time you need to upgrade

And getting the multi-boot usb up and running is really a pretty easy thing to do, there are quite a few steps involved, but its not difficult.
    Just completed a working dual boot install of Ubuntu and Win XP, straight from the GUI without entering a single line of code.

Now that I have a grub menu and a Linux OS residing on my HDD, I'll see if there's a way I can work BT4 into the mix. I'm sure there's got to be a way to add BT4 to my HDD now

PS. Maybe we need to make a new thread on this

UPDATE: Yes, Yes... It works, it works!!! I can access the disk partitioner in BT4 from installing via UNetbootin because of installing Ubuntu earlier.

This looks promising!!!

It might have been easier to partition the disk first using PartedMagic and then installing BT4 via UNetbootin.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldhedge View Post

UPDATE: Yes, Yes... It works, it works!!! I can access the disk partitioner in BT4 from installing via UNetbootin because of installing Ubuntu earlier.
    OK, I'm trying to follow you here...

I'm also trying to figure out a way to install BT4 Pre-Final to my hard drive using Unetbootin instead of the install.sh script in BT4.

So, for myself and anyone else looking to do the same, can you elaborate on what exactly you did to install BT4 PF via Unetbootin after setting up the dual boot with XP and Ubuntu?
    "Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users? "

Quote Originally Posted by Deadboy View Post
    OK, I'm trying to follow you here...

I'm also trying to figure out a way to install BT4 Pre-Final to my hard drive using Unetbootin instead of the install.sh script in BT4.

So, for myself and anyone else looking to do the same, can you elaborate on what exactly you did to install BT4 PF via Unetbootin after setting up the dual boot with XP and Ubuntu?

If you use UNetbootin to install to a hard disk or to a USB drive, you will still be in "Live CD" mode and, any changes you make will be lost when you poweroff.

UNetbootin is a bit misleading in my opinion because, it says "installs" to a hard disk or USB but what it really is doing is installing is a "Live CD" version of software.

If you plan on updating your BT4 kernels and other components, I would choose a USB persistent key installation on a 8 gig Sandisk Cruzer. You will have plenty of room as the base install of BT4 is about 2 gigs.

I will warn you (from my own experience) one you put a grub on a Windows system (dual boot w/ a Linux box) it will be VERY difficult to remove it. UNetbootin's grub is not a real grub and it's very easy to uninstall.

If or when I set up another dual-boot Win and Linux box I will set it up with a super grub and chain load the other operating systems. I've read it is best to not allow Linux install into the Master Boot Record when doing a dual boot system (but I need to read up on this more before I can comment accurately about it). I don't have a link but try googling on how to chainload before doing your install.

BTW> I've switched to Linux Mint as my main OS (it's still based on Ubuntu/Debian) but I prefer the setup to Ubuntu and it has a broader repository.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12