Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cannot start wicd network manager. or enable my WLAN card....

Hi guys...

I appreciate all the help and advice , and I have took on board what was said about looking and learning how to fix my problem in my own way.

I have just about done this.

I found A solution from the broadcom website:

Broadcom.com - 802.11 Linux STA driver

The driver download extraction and instalation instructions can be read here:

http://www.broadcom.com/docs/linux_sta/README.txt

I then proof read the README.txt file from the same page and slowly but surely I created A WLAN interface using the correct driver and executing the correct commands in the correct order.

I now have A WLAN interface as iwconfig shows below:

modus@modus-laptop:~$ iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 IEEE 802.11 Nickname:""
    Access Point: Not-Associated
    Link Quality:5 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    Rx invalid nwid:0 invalid crypt:0 invalid misc:0ee that my WLAN c

I also can see that my WLAN card can successfully see my Router using the sudo iwlist scanning command.

I have also used wicd network manager to create the required encryption methods to connect to my router.

But for some reason I am still not able to connect wirelessly.

I also took your advice Lupin, and have been reading various help and tutorial pages in an attempt to understand what the various commands I am using do.

I am hoping you might be able to shed a little light on this for me.

scrypt

Do you know which stage of the connection process (mentioned in my last post) you are at?

Have you tried methods other than using wicd to get connected?

What particular part of the connection process is causing the problem? Is there some way you could find out? What about adding new configuration settings, or removing some? What about if you changed certain settings on the wireless access point (even temporarily) to see if you can manage a connection under different circumstances. This may give you an idea where the problem lies.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

I have fixed my issue and learned alot about BT program instalation etc etc.

I fixed my WLAN card AP connection problem by trying different encryption methods until I found the correct one.

I now have WLAN connectivity using my BCM4312 and also Bluetooth connectivity with the same card too.

Thank-you for the help and advice, and also helping me to realize that finding my own solutions is an important learning process.

scrypt

Congratulations. Its satisfying to work these things out on your own isn't it?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234