Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cannot start wicd network manager. or enable my WLAN card....

I have explained that in one of my earlier posts

But I'll say again.

I have been messing with Ubuntu for A while and ive always fancied learning and delving A little deeper.

I have had my eye on BackTrack for a while and ive wanted to install it and try to earn about it for quite some time.

Now that Backtrack is using Debian as it main engine I thought it would be good to give it A pop and get stuck in.

I have always been interested in system security.

So seeing as backtrack has the Mix of Linux/Debian/Pentesting and System security it is the perfect distro.

I understand why you ask this though because I have been getting in a bit of A mess with this issue I have had.

But i will get there in the end (with the right help)

we all have to start somewhere. Right!
    This is why i use backTrack....

I don't have a broadcom adapter so I am only going what I found off the net. Can't you use the STA driver?

apt-get install broadcom-sta

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln View Post
    I don't have a broadcom adapter so I am only going what I found off the net. Can't you use the STA driver?

apt-get install broadcom-sta
    I think you need both, the windows driver and the broadcom-sta drivers.

Thnaks Lincoln

i can run this command now that Prowl3r gave me the commnds to fix my postgresql-8.3 and postgreql issues.

could NOT install anything untill I ran the commands prowl3r gave me.

(Nice One Prowl3r!!)
    Here are his commands:

cd /etc/ssl/certs

make-ssl-cert generate-default-snakeoil --force-overwrite

/etc/init.d/postgresql-8.3 restart

I can now install programs from the teminal including the command you gave me

sudo apt-get install broadcom-sta

what is the command i run now to safely reboot my system without loosing any changes made??

You can give it a shot, like Barry said, might not work.

what is the command i run now to safely reboot my system without loosing any changes made??
    Well that depends, what type of setup of installation are you running, live CD?

Also you should know how to do this if you said you have used Ubuntu..

http://theos.in/howto/howto-shutdown...linux-command/

i have HDD installation.

I also ra sudo apt-get install broadcon-sta

But sill NO wirless connectivity.

you got any suggestions??

Okay point taken about I should know this from using Ubuntu.

I do.
    but I wanted to make sure they are correct, because even after following all earlier commands to the letter.
    I still have no wireless connectivity.

You can start reading here: http://forums.remote-exploit.org/bac...track-4-a.html

Try searching the Ubuntu forums, lots of threads on there.

edit: You might also want to look into purchasing a USB doggle if you can't get it to work.

I need to change this to my firmware installation path.

can you post the exact path for where that would be for me please.

"$FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR"

Is it this:

me@me-laptop:~/broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0/kmod$ sudo ../../b43-fwcutter-012/b43-fwcutter -w "/lib/firmware" wl_apsta.o

I rebooted and still no wireless connectivity.

Is there anyone capable of helping me fix this here??
    so in theory if i rebbot my wlan should work, yes???

Is there anyone capable of helping A begginer connect wirelessly with A BCM4312 wlan card

Quote Originally Posted by scrypt View Post
    im pretty sure i followed your instructions to the letter
    This is part of the problem here, and part of the reason why I was trying to get you to find the appropriate instructions on your own. If all you are doing is just typing in the commands I give you, you wont understand the purpose of what you are doing and you wont be able to work out what to try next. Myself (or someone else here) will basically have to help you every time you run into a problem, and considering that BackTrack is meant to be an advanced Linux distribution for knowledgeable users this is entirely inappropriate. (In fact I have already been spoonfeeding far more than I, or anyone else around here, normally would).

So lets change tack. No more spoonfeeding, this is your problem so you have to take responsibility for fixing it. Show that you have made an effort to understand what is happening, that you have researched the problem (beyond just looking at the page you are on), and that you have learned something from what you have read and we can assist further. The fact that I gave you a link, and even told you exactly where to look in the page and you still couldn't find the right commands to use tells me that you are not currently putting in the required effort.

Now, do you understand what following those instructions I gave you was meant to achieve?

Let me give you a hint - the process of getting your wireless card running so that you can connect to the Internet can be broken down into a number of high level stages, that have to be performed in order:
    1. Get a driver working so that your Linux system can communicate with the wireless card hardware
    2. Establish a layer two (OSI model) connection to a wireless Access Point (this includes negotiating encryption like WEP or WPA as appropriate)
    3. Configure an IP address for your wireless card, as well as DNS servers and gateways appropriate to the wireless network

These stages above also may have sub steps (e.g. the b43 driver needs to be loaded AND it needs firmware installed).
    What stage do you think you are at now?

Id also encourage you to ask yourself some of the following questions:
    What exactly where you trying to achieve by installing the Broadcom firmware? How do you know if this particular stage of the process has been completed or not? How would you break this process into sub steps and get detailed information on whats gone wrong so you can get clues about how to fix it? Is there perhaps another way to achieve the same goal?

Id suggest that before you post back you determine what you are trying to achieve (e.g. what stage are you in), how you can tell when you have achieved it and how you can troubleshoot what you are doing. You probably also want to do some general research about what you are attempting and you want to try and find some tutorials that explain some things to try (or even tutorials that explain how to do things similar to what you want to try). The information is out there, if you cant find it you either need to look harder (read the pages you find!) or improve your Google'fu (try out advanced search operators).
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast