Thread: How to set up a demo network

Default How to set up a demo network

Hello folks!

I am about to give a conference about security, and I am looking into ways of building a switched network with two laptops. Obviously, I want also an independent gateway for ARP Spoofing demonstrations.

So the thing is, two laptops connected to a gateway, and this gateway delivering internet.

I have a wireless router, so I can set up a LAN between the two laptops but I don't have internet access (it is a public building, so I don't have the DSL plug available).

I also tested vmware, but there the gateway is the host OS, and ARP Spoofing doesn't make any sense.

Do you have any ideas?

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Forget the DSL router, and get yourself something like a WRT54G or something else that is just a router and isn't specific to DSL.

Then configure it like this:

Test WebServer <--> WRT54G <--> Clients

Then you'd setup your arp spoof either between your test webserver and the router or between the router and the clients.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

But how do you connect the router to the Web server? And broad internet?

I was wondering if a LAN client connected to the router could be the source of internet for all others :S

Thanks for the replys!

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by knithx View Post
    But how do you connect the router to the Web server? And broad internet?

I was wondering if a LAN client connected to the router could be the source of internet for all others :S

Thanks for the replys!
    Not be rude, but if you don't even know that, how are you even qualified to give the presentation you're planning on giving?

It would appear you don't even have the basics of networking.

For what I drew, you do not need internet access. You setup a test server with a webpage on it, and then show how arpspoofing works against it. It isn't hard at all for someone that understands networking.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Not be rude, but if you don't even know that, how are you even qualified to give the presentation you're planning on giving?
    He's going to push your big red haxor it now button.

But how do you connect the router to the Web server?
    Run a web server on one of your local systems.

And broad internet?
    Connect your demo network to a Internet connected network and route appropriately. I'd recommend against connection via production networks however, especially if you don't have a good grasp on how to contain what you're doing or what the affect of ARP spoofing or other attack traffic could be on that network.

You may be best served by doing your demo without Internet connectivity if possible.

Yes, but see what I said above about production networks.

What is your presentation about?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.