Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux tools to wipe out a hard drive

Arrow Linux tools to wipe out a hard drive

Hi guys!

Here is the thing:

There's confidential information in a client's system that could lead to major problems if this should fall into the wrong hands.

I have to make sure the data contained in this hard drive is completely cleaned, and that NO ONE in the world could ever recover it, even forensically.

Would you know about:

* A (ideally) lightweight Linux tool used to wipe the data from a device (well, ok... could be Windows based too);

* One secure method to certify it was correctly wiped.

I can do the wipe using EnCase software from Guidance Software, but I find it very time consuming for this task.

Thanks a lot!
    sl33p

Secure Erase are great tools, but if you really want "NO ONE" can recover it you can try with this method

hxxp://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4147847319296070400&q=techtv+thermite#

LOL

But if you don't have some thermite plasma yu can try this:

shred -vfz -n 100 /dev/yourhdd
    Google is your best friend :D

I use dban. I've also been known to melt them down in my forge.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

When you say "fall into the wrong hands", are you talking about having the laptop stolen, or when you take it out of service?

If you're concerned about it being stolen, then your only real free solution would be to encrypt the drive with something like Truecrypt. If you're talking about taking it out of service then the drive should be thoroughly destroyed via various means. I do like Barry's method of putting them in the forge, but I've drilled holes, crushed them and cut them into pieces with a sawzall.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

i used Acronis Disk Director Suite windows based
    Impossible is impossible

Pounding a railroad spike through one works as well. So does shooting them, which is fun all on it's own. You can also just open up the top and hit the platters with a propane torch. Make them glow, that's all that's needed. Wear safety glasses! Most newer drives are glass platters, so they might esplode when the flame hits them.

Good friend of the forums

it doesn't get easier than that: either erase it 60 times in a row (time consuming) or destroy the drive physically (quick & dirty) - no other way to make sure noone in the world will ever discover what was on that drive. You can't use some magical 5 minute tool to do it..

Quote Originally Posted by xorred View Post
    it doesn't get easier than that: either erase it 60 times in a row (time consuming)
    Actully, recent research shows that for modern drives a one pass overwrite is more than sufficient. I dont think 60 passes was ever considered to be necessary - from what I recall the Gutman wiping method, the most over the top method out there, only had 35 passes. (This method wasnt actually invented by Peter Guttman anyway, it was apparently created by someone else based on a misinterpretation of results presented in one of his papers, and then attributed to him.)
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Another vote for shred or DBAN.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast