Thread: Ifconfig up Hang up

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Ifconfig up Hang up

Hello, I'm using a RT2870 and BT4.. i'm trying to get it to connect to my wifi AP.

I have a few problems..

When i try and ifconfig ra0 up. The terminal will hang and i cant CRTL C out of it.. i have to exit the terminal and wait about 1-2minutes before i can use any other network commands (ifconfig, iwconfig) otherwise it will still just hang until i exit out of it and wait.. It also will hang firefox etc.. After i wait a couple mins everything will function somewhat normal. My card is found and i can change it into monitor mode ETC.

So i try "iwlist ra0 scan" and i get no scan results or i'll open WICD and no networks detected.. however.. rarely it will bring networks up. When it does bring networks up i'll try and connect in WICD and it will hang at "Resetting ip".. I'm thinking it is hanging because WICD brings my interface down then back up i think. After 30 seconds the hang will stop and it will stay at "Connecting..." and that's it.

I'm running it in vmware workstation 7. I'm thinking something is interfering with my card. I've been trying to get this to work for over a week and it just isn't going anywhere.

I could realy use help please.

Default Re: Ifconfig up Hang up

What kind of card are you using? PCI or USB?

Please tell me it's USB.

EDIT: Ah, micole seems to be right... again.

How old is your card? What OS is your host running? What brand is your card?
    Last edited by xX_Spiidey_Xx; 03-18-2010 at 03:20 AM. Reason: damned micole... ^_^
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Quote Originally Posted by xX_Spiidey_Xx View Post
    Please tell me it's USB.
    We can only hope... Banners... Oh Banners, why did you have to get B-B-B-Ban-hammered?

If its not USB, I'm going to post a "Just in case" link in advance: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...irtualbox.html

Spiidey: Why do I feel like 80% of my posts are about VM and wireless problems?... *Punchline* Because they probably are

I'm just playing OP. Hope its a USB though...

*EDIT*
    Its got to be a USB device, OP said he was able to see some networks but then it wouldn't work anymore.
    Last edited by micole; 03-18-2010 at 03:10 AM.
    Common Knowledge: Username, "root". Password, "toor". "startx" gives you a GUI, and "fix-vesa" will fix BT if you have no GUI. Start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking start" and check your IP settings with "ifconfig -a". "dhclient" will automatically use DHCP for your IP. Google is your friend.

Just burned his ISO

I'm on Windows 7 and it is a USB WUSB600N. I tried using virtual box and it only hangs for about 20 seconds and i managed to get it to connect a couple times. It is however INSANELY hard to get it to work.

I tried getting it to work on VMWare workstation and it still hangs for a long time. It's really strange. I try using WICD and it hangs a bit there and rarely works.

Just burned his ISO

Can anybody help me with this please?

Just burned his ISO

The problem is with the drivers for the WUSB600N v1, not that it's a VMWare install. I have the same issue when booting into a live CD or my persistent USB install.

Like me, you're going to have to wait for someone to come up with some proper drivers for the WUSB600N v1