Thread: Destroyed windows install

Just burned his ISO

Default Destroyed windows install

So here is what happend. I was using a Back track 3 thumb drive and was trying to learn how to set up the software. Unfortunetly it was 5 am from a night of learning and i accidently followed the instructions to install the cd to the hard drive. about 15 - 30 seconds into it i realized what it was doing and did a hard shut down. The hard drive contained a windows xp install with alot of data. Is it possible to restore the OS back without losing the data? If not is there a way to just pull the data off so i can reinstall the os.

I put the laptop hard drive in an enclosure and connected it to my other desktop and it can see two partitions but not read them.

Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by mellamojay View Post
    So here is what happend. I was using a Back track 3 thumb drive and was trying to learn how to set up the software. Unfortunetly it was 5 am from a night of learning and i accidently followed the instructions to install the cd to the hard drive. about 15 - 30 seconds into it i realized what it was doing and did a hard shut down. The hard drive contained a windows xp install with alot of data. Is it possible to restore the OS back without losing the data? If not is there a way to just pull the data off so i can reinstall the os.

I put the laptop hard drive in an enclosure and connected it to my other desktop and it can see two partitions but not read them.

Thanks for any help.
    The first part of the install repartitions the drive. So you most likely blew away your partition table and overwrote the first part of the drive. If you can see if you can find a freeware or trial partition recovery software. You might get some of your data back.

you could try to boot your pc with a XP disc and hope it will find the previous XP install and try to repair it.

or boot a liveCD OS and put all your important data on a USB HDD so that you got your stuff backed up and reinstall XP

Developer

TestDisk - CGSecurity

May work for you. Its free and available from the backtrack repo via apt-get.