Thread: GRUB - Need a bit - o - help

Hybrid View

Default GRUB - Need a bit - o - help

Hello.

I have installed BackTrack 4 Pre Final on HDD with enough space blah blah blah.

The thing is, I dont want to go on Windows, but my Partner needs it, since he doesnt work well with Linux.

Can I install Windows (it will overwrite GRUB), then run a live CD and fix GRUB ?

I have already 20gb/40gb taken cause I installed most tools I use on BT4PF.

Searched for the GRUB Installer for Windows, but editing ini files aint my thing.
    :cool:
    Alienware M17x - Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9300
    Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 280M GPUs
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    Dual 500GB

All the Windows installer will do is overwrite grub in the MBR. You can reinstall it with just about any linux live cd. If you check out google this is a hot topic in the Ubuntu community.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Yes go ahead and install MSWindows normally using your MSWindows CD.

After you install MSWindows, your computer will boot straight into MSWindows, it won't give you a choice of booting into Linux.

Then you take a Linux boot CD and use it to install Grub. After Grub is installed properly, you'll get a list of choices when you boot up.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".