Thread: connect to "secured" open WLAN

Exclamation connect to "secured" open WLAN

hi folks,

so after a long time using backtrack 3/4 i need to ask a question.

after checking the WLAN-networks in my new neighborhood cause of used channels to avoid interferences with my own WLAN i saw an open network with the name of a doctors working-place.

so the next few days i went to the doctors house (a tooth-break-shit doctor *gg*) to tell him, thats pretty unsecure to have an open WLAN, because of sensible data of his patients maybe in his network.

with a smile he answered: "my IT-professional told me that's secure, cause only my laptop can connect to the router"
    (the words "my IT-professional told me" was used about 10 times in a 5 minute talk )

"...but if you want to try to get in my network: no problem, try it! it will not work, 'cause my IT-professional told me....."

after that i tried to connect to his network with a laptop in front of his home.

i saw the router with MAC and other related informations, and his laptop (or any other client) connected with this router.

so in the evening i went a second time to his house, checked if no-one is connected anymore with his router, changed my MAC to the laptops one i saw a few hours before, but i can't connect to the router.

what is the problem now?
    any ideas?
    cause i want to tell him, that his "IT-professional" is a dumb one and that his network isn't very secure

i repeat a second time: i have the permission to "hack" in this network by his owner, so no illegal hacking energy

There are other ways to secure an "open" network than just mac addresses. One way would be create a network with no gateway. You can connect to it all day, but no way out. You would have to use a vpn connection to go anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoosau View Post
    cause i want to tell him, that his "IT-professional" is a dumb one and that his network isn't very secure
    )
    Looks like the guy is smarter than you.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by voodoosau View Post
    hi folks,

so after a long time using backtrack 3/4 i need to ask a question.

after checking the WLAN-networks in my new neighborhood cause of used channels to avoid interferences with my own WLAN i saw an open network with the name of a doctors working-place.

so the next few days i went to the doctors house (a tooth-break-shit doctor *gg*) to tell him, thats pretty unsecure to have an open WLAN, because of sensible data of his patients maybe in his network.

with a smile he answered: "my IT-professional told me that's secure, cause only my laptop can connect to the router"
    (the words "my IT-professional told me" was used about 10 times in a 5 minute talk )

"...but if you want to try to get in my network: no problem, try it! it will not work, 'cause my IT-professional told me....."

after that i tried to connect to his network with a laptop in front of his home.

i saw the router with MAC and other related informations, and his laptop (or any other client) connected with this router.

so in the evening i went a second time to his house, checked if no-one is connected anymore with his router, changed my MAC to the laptops one i saw a few hours before, but i can't connect to the router.

what is the problem now?
    any ideas?

i repeat a second time: i have the permission to "hack" in this network by his owner, so no illegal hacking energy
    I would have to agree with Barry on this. It would appear as though he's smarter than you are, cause if you were as smart as you think you are, you wouldn't be here asking this question.

Something else that you need to remember, it is your word against the Doctor's regarding if you have permission to 'hack' his network. It probably isn't too wise to be messing with it. If you get caught, you could be arrested, and the Doctor will just say that he didn't give you permission.

Of course, you could have a 'get out jail free card' ala Asst. Director Ritter from Clear and Present Danger. You don't have one of these, do you, Jack?

Plus, your story would probably be a little more believable if you actually didn't write like a bleeding moron.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

prowl3r

Well that's why tooth-break-shit doctors need IT-professionals. He's got one and you are not.

It seems you are

he did his job well ^^

you not!
    www.myownremote.blogspot.com