Thread: Plz help me with my broadcom nightmare

Just burned his ISO

Default Plz help me with my broadcom nightmare

Hello everyone, new to this forums. So i read a tutorial on how to figure out my wep key (scratched off my modem), but I'm having a lot of trouble doing this.

I've been reading some posts, but i do have some general questions.

First of all, I don't know how to post the image of Backtrack results, because I can't access internet, so I can't come to this forums, if there's any way i can save the images and access them from Windows, please let me know.

Second, the issue i'm having is that airmon-ng doesn't show me any cards. I figured mine is eth0 because is the only one that doesn't tell me the device isn't there when I try to use ifconfig eth0 down. Then after I figured this out, I went ahead and changed my mac address and then when I tried to use airodump, this comes up:

ARP link type is set to 1 (Ethernet) - expected APPHRD_IEEE80211, APPHRD_IEEE80211_FULL, APPHRD_IEEE80211_PRISM instead. Make sure RFMON is enabled: run 'airmon-ng start eth0 <#>'. Sysfs injection support was not found either.

So i've been readin a bit around this forums, and i'm a linux noob as well (but I learn fast enuff). I ran ifconfg eth0 up and airmon-ng start eth0 with no luck. Again I ran lspci and (since i can't post image or dunno how to) got this:

Ethernet controller: Marvel technology group Ltd. 88E8040 PCI_E Fast Ethernet Controller (rev12).
    Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM 4312 802.11 b/g (rev 01).

It's weird bcz when I access my windows wireless configuration, it tells me it's BCM 4315 instead, so I don't know which one I have.

And yeah I know there are some BCM 4312 topics out there, but since they deal in a lot of kernel, drivers, weird programs, I was wondering if someone could help me understand all that, and what I could do in case i need to update drivers or download anything, because as I stated before, I don't know how to access internet from backtrack.

Default Re: Plz help me with my broadcom nightmare

your card isnt supported out of the box under bt4's default configuration (or most linux distro's for that matter). the only way to get it working is following one of the kernel upgrade guides.
    Buy your self a USB drive like the ALFA AWUS036h

Just burned his ISO

I was reading a little bit more and I think I need to update kernel, and download the so called bt43 driver... i read somewhere else about.

The thing is, I don't know how to connect to internet using BT4, i read a guide, but wasn't so understandable... can anyone help me?? is there any easy command lines i can use to connect to the internet?? or since i'm using broadcom i won't be able to?

About the BCM 4312, i think it could be the so called 14e4:4315 rev 1 chipset, BUT i'm not sure.

Anyone that knows about this that could enlighten me? PLZ??

plug it in to a wired ethernet connection, and type
    $ dhclient start.
    you should have wired internet going
    but seriously consider getting a usb wifi card, regardless if you get your broadcom to work. The one I mentioned, and others work out of the box, and the external antenna significantly increases your range. With my broadcom card, im lucky if I see 5-6 AP's. With the ALFA, I see 20-30 AP's

Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion_Zero View Post
    The thing is, I don't know how to connect to internet using BT4, i read a guide, but wasn't so understandable... can anyone help me?? is there any easy command lines i can use to connect to the internet??
    I don't want to be too harsh on you, but seriously you have to learn some linux. If you can't follow the official tutorial http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...backtrack.html then you've started with the wrong foot. Before trying all the "h4x0r" stuff you have to check some beginners tutorials. If you don't understand how they work try harder(tm) to understand them.

Begin your journey with this:
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad-thread.html

P.S: Forget about cracking WEP, after you have some linux skills you will realize how trivial this is.
    Great minds have purposes, others have wishes