Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i messed up the environment bigtime

Default i messed up the environment bigtime

hi there,

now where to start...

i tried to install couple of programs from the synaptic package manager.

after a reboot i was running gnome...:S
    when did that happen..:O
    i assumed that i installed the environment with the other packages i selected so i thought i'd deselect them again. and now i have an useless gnome interface

no panels are visible only the desktop and shortcuts that i had added...
    alt-f2 aint working so i cant start anything

there are 2 ways to solve this i think...
    1. reinstall the packages trough the text-mode
    2. reinstall backtrack.

i'd rather want to focus on the first because that is actually solving while the second is like backing up(and it brings other issues).

my question is how can i establish a connection in text mode with a unsecured wireless connection?

and after beeing connected which packages should i download/install to restore the backtrack KDE interface?

the issues that appeared when tried 2 are:
    when i check my HDD in gparted it shows as unallocated 400gb.
    while windows vista DOES show the partitions.
    anyone that understands this?

thanx in advanced!

CIHAN

Developer

Dude, reinstall. This should never have happened unless you actually installed Gnome in which case you got what you wanted. Desktops do not just install themselves. So if you truly did not mean to then the best course of action is a reinstall otherwise you are sure to have more problems down the road.

thanks for your reply,

but how am i gonna reinstall,
    i cant see any partition just an unallocated disk?

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CIHAN View Post
    my question is how can i establish a connection in text mode with a unsecured wireless connection?
    Here's a guide:

Linux Internet Connection - Virjacode

If there's no WEP key, then set the "key" flag to "off" when you're connecting using "iwconfig", here's an example:

Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid ABC key off
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    Here's a guide:

If there's no WEP key, then set the "key" flag to "off" when you're connecting using "iwconfig", here's an example:

Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid ABC key off

thanks alot for your reply

but how am i gonna reinstall,
    The same way you did it the first time around?

i cant see any partition just an unallocated disk?
    You should be able to see a partition, you have installed BackTrack there...

Anyway, the installer will give you the option to recreate your partitions...
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

i wish it was that easy but here is what i mean..

the first picture is from UBUNTU i dont have the BT4 install disk with me at the moment but it really shows the same..
    http://img12.imageshack.us/i/screenshotiw.png/

the second screen is from the disk manager of windows vista as you can see i have partition here...
    (the first one is BT4 partition and the second one is a swap partition.)

http://img15.imageshack.us/i/screenshot2li.png/

i wish it was that easy but here is what i mean..

the first picture is from UBUNTU i dont have the BT4 install disk with me at the moment but it really shows the same..
    Imageshack - screenshotiw

the second screen is from the disk manager of windows vista as you can see i have partition here...
    (the first one is BT4 partition and the second one is a swap partition.)

Imageshack - screenshot2li
    Interesting. Im assuming you want to keep your Vista Install intact?

That copy of Gparted was run with root privileges wasnt it? And thats a recent version of Ubuntu? Will fdisk on the BackTrack DVD recognise your partitions?

You may want to try running the fixboot and fixmbr commands from the Windows Recovery console to see if that will allow Linux tools to read your partition table.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

thanks for your reply,

i've googled a little on the commands you suggested...

i found a couple of others.
    bootrec.exe and /rebuildbcd

but wont these command mess up my vista?
    i mean i need vista for my work if that gets messed up i wont be very happy...

btw to answer your question..
    the screen isnt root but when in root it shows the same.
    it is the recent up to date version of ubuntu
    i should try the Fdisk on backtrack dvd.(i am at work and i dont have the disk with me)

thanks for your reply,

i've googled a little on the commands you suggested...

i found a couple of others.
    bootrec.exe and /rebuildbcd

but wont these command mess up my vista?
    i mean i need vista for my work if that gets messed up i wont be very happy...
    I have had fixmbr/fixboot break a Windows install once before, but its fairly rare for that to happen. They are both meant to be non-destructive, but its always a possibility that "Bad Things" could happen when you start messing around with partitions like this. (Installing BackTrack could potentially have killed your Vista install too, even though the vast majority of the time it won't.)

If you have another hard disk/sizable storage device, you can use CloneZilla to take a image of your disk to restore later if something goes wrong. You could also use something like dd to make a copy of the first few sectors of the disk so you could copy them back if fixmbr breaks something (Google for info on backing up the MBR).

Have you checked yet to see if BackTrack can see the partitions when booting from DVD? Try the fdisk command (the Linux version, not the Windows one).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast