Thread: How do i connect to 802.1x in BT?

Just burned his ISO

Wink How do i connect to 802.1x in BT?

Greetings fellow Backtrack'ers!

My question is simple: How do I, when using Backtrack 4, establish a connection to the dynamic WEP, 802.1x encryption, using my assigned username and password?

The background story:

I've been doing alot of research on Google to solve my problem. Wicd doesn't solve my problem, and beside that I've been trying to set up general WPA configurations using WPA Supplicant - without success.
    I've also tried to install the native (Gnome) Network Manager, but that didn't go that well either. Chances that I screw up somewhere are big.

Please help me, and speak slowly. I'm no pr0 at this yet.

Thanks in advance!
    //bQnne

Default Re: How do i connect to 802.1x in BT?

Can you tell us which guides you have followed and what commands and configurations you tried so we know what doesnt work? What have you checked on this forum so far?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Sorry, did i get this right ?

You want to connect to a WEP encrypted Wlan with using the WPA suplicant ?

Have you tried it with
    Code:
    iwconfig
    ?

Just burned his ISO

Arrow Re: How do i connect to 802.1x in BT?

Hello again.

To answer your questions:
    First of all, i've been trying different solutions I've found on the internet.
    I don't remember any specific ones, but the QPA Supplicant I was talking about can be found here: HOWTO: ipw3945 connecting to a University Network (802.1x / PEAP) - Ubuntu Forums and since BT4 is based on Ubuntu 8,10 I believe it is doable.

Second of all, I've been trying to install Gnome Network Manager and configure - after deleting all interfaces from /etc/network/interfaces except the lo-thingie, I got the program working on my home network, and got the GUI up and running to try to set up the dynamic WEP (802.1x) using that program.

After setting it up (correctly, I hope. Look at this guide for what I do: Rensselaer Help Desk - Connecting to the RPI Wireless Network Using 802.1x PEAP (MSCHAPv2) in Ubuntu 8.10+ ) it uses 2 mins trying to connect, gives up and reattempts. This continues until canceled.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

Just burned his ISO

Still no luck... need a hand, please.

Quote Originally Posted by bQnne View Post
    Second of all, I've been trying to install Gnome Network Manager and configure - after deleting all interfaces from /etc/network/interfaces except the lo-thingie, I got the program working on my home network, and got the GUI up and running to try to set up the dynamic WEP (802.1x) using that program.
    FAIL. No, you cannot use Gnome Network Manager with BackTrack, without having to heavily modify the system. If you install Network Manager, you'll also have to install Gnome, which is not supported here. BackTrack uses the K Desktop Environment.

I can't remember if it's supported, but have you tried starting networking, and using wicd and wicd-client?

Have you done a search on these forums? I know your topic's been covered at least once before.
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.