Thread: Mouse issue

Just burned his ISO

Default Mouse issue

Hi,
    I'm a pretty new linux user, but after a bit of a fight I got BT4 installed on my HP mini 110 netbook. I used had to use the command "sudo fixvesa" to get so that I could start the X server. After I startx my mouse (touchpad) will not work (When I booted from usb it worked fine.) Any help would be great thanks.

Good friend of the forums

there are plenty of guides out there how to set up correctly ubuntu on your netbook.

Just burned his ISO

I used multiple guides to help me get backtrack to even start the x server; however, none of the tutorials covered my mouse not working (From what I've read I should have the synaptics touch pad drivers and don't need to install them, but maybe I need to modify my xorg.conf file). Maybe I am looking in the wrong direction and you could point me the right way.

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dev_iance View Post
    I'm a pretty new linux user
    This really isn't the distro for you. Far better for you to use a more generic one (like Ubuntu actually) which will work. Plus the majority of the tools you will want to use - probably aircrack - are available on said Ubuntu.

Before anyone goes and says "I want to learn", you have to be familiar with more than just the tools to succeed in this game - you have to have a strong familiarity with any system you use and/or come up against, as well as a solid understanding of how these components interact (802.1x, 802.11, 802.3, NFS, TCP, UFS, ZFS, UDP, ICMP, GRE, OSI and more) before moving along.

I strongly recommend you use Ubuntu for your OS rather than Backtrack. That is not to say you can't keep an eye on the community and learn things, but there are moments (such as this one) where the support will be more widespread, if not also better, from the Ubuntu community than the BT community.

And, of course, BT4 is based on Ubuntu.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Just burned his ISO

Alright thanks for the help I'll figure is out on my own.
    I've used ubuntu before, but I have a hard time finding a lot of the stuff that I want to use (I'm in 3rd year computer science and my interests are more educational). If i wanted to break into wireless networks, I wouldn't be wasting this much time on here. As I said I managed to run BT4 perfectly off of usb so if I just wanted to use aircrack-ng i would have used it and gone on my way. I was hoping I could install BT4 so that I could install other things in addition to what it already has instead of trying to find all the tools that I want from BT and installing and configuring them myself.
    Either way I'll stop whining about it and figure it out on my own. Sorry for being a nuisance.