Thread: "Passphrase not in dictionary"

Default "Passphrase not in dictionary"

I've managed to hack my own WEP encrypted network without a fuss... but I cannot seem to hack it when it's WPA2 encrypted.

I've prepared a simple text file with a few random passes and the correct one. I first run the standard airodump-ng, then using aireplay-ng I force my PC to deauth (BTW: I'm running BT on my laptop), and thus I get a nice handshake.

So, all's fine, right?

Well, running aircrack-ng data.cap -w list.txt ends up with "Passphrase not in dictionary".

I've also tried using the -p 1 command (I've read somewhere that when there are only a few passes in the wordlist aircrack might go nuts on a DualCore CPU). Still nothing.

What else can I try / what am I doing wrong?
    Shaamaan

Free will is an illusion...

Thumbs down @Shaaman

Exactly..I too have the same problem.

I'm using BT 4 Pre-Final (HDD Install) on my laptop in my home network. I connected to the AP using my D-Link DWA 110 (Ralink 2573 Chipset using RT73USB driver) and monitor using my Centrino 3945 a/b/g card. I can easily capture the WPA Handshake by aireplay deauth. But aircrack-ng can't crack the KEY even if i'm providing the correct key in the dictionary file. It just says "Passphrase not in dictionary"
    Where's m i doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaamaan View Post
    I've managed to hack my own WEP encrypted network without a fuss... but I cannot seem to hack it when it's WPA2 encrypted.

I've prepared a simple text file with a few random passes and the correct one. I first run the standard airodump-ng, then using aireplay-ng I force my PC to deauth (BTW: I'm running BT on my laptop), and thus I get a nice handshake.

So, all's fine, right?

Well, running aircrack-ng data.cap -w list.txt ends up with "Passphrase not in dictionary".

I've also tried using the -p 1 command (I've read somewhere that when there are only a few passes in the wordlist aircrack might go nuts on a DualCore CPU). Still nothing.

What else can I try / what am I doing wrong?
    What application did you use to make the password list?

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

Following what Barry said, I used to get into a lot of trouble when making a dic file in windows and then having trouble using it in BT..

There are commands you can use like dos2linux to make sure that the lines dont contain anything that will mess it up for you when using as a wordlist in BT.

Are the wordlists created in BT ?

Quote Originally Posted by =TAPE= View Post
    Following what Barry said, I used to get into a lot of trouble when making a dic file in windows and then having trouble using it in BT..

There are commands you can use like dos2linux to make sure that the lines dont contain anything that will mess it up for you when using as a wordlist in BT.

Are the wordlists created in BT ?
    That's basically what I was getting at. There's probably carriage returns in the file screwing things up.

Thats the word I was looking for , "carriage return"

and just realised I posted saying dos2linux..

uhhh

meant dos2unix !!

Default @Barry

I didn't use any tool to make the wordlist. I just opened the small and default wordlist that comes with aircrack-ng with Kate and appened my original WPA2 passphrase to the End of File and saved it. Still airacrack-ng is saying "Passphrase not in dictionary..." What do i do? This is really weird.

try a few different wordlist files.. just to be sure.

Make a few with crunch, work with that.

And just to be sure, you are pointing to the modified wordlist and not the original one right ?!

Try to limit down the possible causes by testing more.

Quote Originally Posted by nishant View Post
    I didn't use any tool to make the wordlist. I just opened the small and default wordlist that comes with aircrack-ng with Kate and appened my original WPA2 passphrase to the End of File and saved it. Still airacrack-ng is saying "Passphrase not in dictionary..." What do i do? This is really weird.
    So what app are you using to append the password to the existing list?

Hey, here's a thought. Change your password to one of the ones already in the list. If it still says the password isn't in the list, your capture method is broken.