Thread: I have problems with HD installation..

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Default I have problems with HD installation..

I'm newbie, and tried to install BT4 in my Laptop...My laptop has the XP and Ubuntu 9.04. They work just fine...I created a third partition in my hard drive to install BT4. Booted up with BT4 live CD, and run install.sh. So far so good.
    During the installation, I edited the partions and choose the partition created to install BT4 (sd7 , 15 gb). Format activated, filesystem ext3 and mount /...
    When I get to the last screen, I go to Advance button, lower right corner, and deactivate the bootloader, because the first time i left it checked, I had to re-arrange the grub....It installs fine...Aske to reebot or keep working with live CD...I reboot. What I get is the Ubuntu Grub but without the BT4 option, only Windows XP option..I edited the menu.lst of ubuntu and nothing about BT4 there...Just like if I had never installed BT4.
    Mounted the sd7 (BT4 partition) and it is there...The BT4...
    What can I do to make it run from the ubuntu menu.lst since it is installed in sd7. I tried in my desktop and installed it fine and I do get the whole boot menu (XP, Ubuntu and BT4)...
    My desktop is a dual core..My laptop is a Intel Centrino 1.6ghz, 160Gb HD and 1.5 Gb ram.
    Any idea?

prowl3r

Yep.

Edit your desktop /boot/grub/menu.lst and take note of the BT entry.

Then edit your laptop (ubuntu) menu.lst and add that entry (pointing at sd7 and other minor tweaks if required), save it.

then

sudo update-grub

and boot the machine.

But before doing that, go here:

grub page

and learn as much as you can about grub.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Default I'll try it...

Thanx..I'll try what you told me..I'll post results...
    Thank you very much for your help...