Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alienware vs mac?

Default alienware vs mac?

I know this is a bit of an odd comparison but I am in the market to buy a new laptop, and I have been looking at the 15" Macbook Pro, or Alienware m15x. now I know that the whole PC vs MAC debate and aggressive marketing campaign has been going around for god knows how long now. but I now find myself in the middle of it all and can't make up my mind. and wanted to get some advice. This notebook will primarily be used for playing wow and plants vs zombies, browsing the net and day to day stuff like that, so high end cutting e edge CPU and graphics cards inst one of my main concerns.
    The m15x has a sort of geeky coolness to it, and the Macbook Pro has a sort of just coolness to it and OSX in based on BSD which is great, but i could also dual boot windows7 and Gentoo...
    I could ramble on for hours about the pro's and cons of both... but i wanted to get someone else's perspective.

This will probably shock the people that know me, but between the two, I'd go Alienware. I've got a unibody macbook pro at work, and it's a nice laptop, but the Alienware machine will kick it's ass in the specs department for the same amount of money. Two or three years ago, I'd have said get the Mac no questions, but Apple has started to let me down too much lately.

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

I agree with Barry, go with the Alienware.

This from an ACTC.

Some Inside Information (tm): Wait a little while, we can expect to see a new Macbook/Pro design soonish.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

prowl3r

Well both are nice machines. I would personally go Alienware too. However, both are overpriced and not so powerful, in my opinion.

So, as a third option I'll go custom gaming laptops - Welcome to Sager Notebooks

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    This will probably shock the people that know me, but between the two, I'd go Alienware. I've got a unibody macbook pro at work, and it's a nice laptop, but the Alienware machine will kick it's ass in the specs department for the same amount of money. Two or three years ago, I'd have said get the Mac no questions, but Apple has started to let me down too much lately.
    Beware of that unibody construction types. One front end impact and you have to take them in for frame alignment.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

So i am guessing the general consensus is the dual boot win7/Gentoo Alienware. It was the one i was leaning towards. The mac was appealing because i have never really used one... I have gone from Windows, to linux.

@ prowl3r: I don't think that the custom laptop option is really an option. I live in Australia and unless I find someone to do it here it's just going to be a world of trouble. In past experiences in buying electrical equipment from America is nothing but trouble. We have a 240 volt gird here where you have a 120.

Quote Originally Posted by Dissident85 View Post
    So i am guessing the general consensus is the dual boot win7/Gentoo Alienware. It was the one i was leaning towards. The mac was appealing because i have never really used one... I have gone from Windows, to linux.

@ prowl3r: I don't think that the custom laptop option is really an option. I live in Australia and unless I find someone to do it here it's just going to be a world of trouble. In past experiences in buying electrical equipment from America is nothing but trouble. We have a 240 volt gird here where you have a 120.
    You play around with linux, so you're not really missing anything with OSX other than some nifty applications.

i have a Alienware m15x an i love it......

prowl3r

I do take your point and I agree with you, support is highly recommended for such powerful pieces of hardware as heating might become an issue here. I know they sell them in Europe too so power would not be a problem, not sure whether they have a dealer in Australia.

Anyway, they have a hell of a laptop, don't they ?

I haven't even looked at ailenware in years. Once I got a look at those prices! Out of the two, I'd choose AW, but of course I am a hardcore Anti-mac guy.

*Hides before I get stabbed*
    "You're only smoke and mirrors..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast