Thread: Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

I'm a pretty new to linux, but I'm trying my best. I was using the BT4 Beta Live CD to start learning and using the OS, and every time I logged in I got an error, "No screens found" after typing "startx." I read somewhere to type "fixvesa" and then "startx" and that seemed to work and allow me to boot fine.

I just "installed" BT4 onto a free partition, and on boot after logging in and typing "startx" I get the same/similar error:

Code:
    (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Sep 27 17:07:49 2009
    (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/Xorg.conf"
    (EE) NV(0): Failed to determine the amount of available video memory
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
    no screens found
    giving up.
    xinit:   Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
    xint:   No such process (errno 3): Server error

Of course I've tried doing the regular, "fixvesa" that normally worked on the live cd boot, but I get this error:

Code:
    [*] Copying /etc/X11/xorg.conf-vesa to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    cp: cannot create regular file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf': Permission denied
    Anyway, now I'm confused as to how to boot. As far as I can tell it has something to do with the video drivers? Can somebody please refer me to reading material that will assist me with this problem?

Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunked View Post

Code:
    [*] Copying /etc/X11/xorg.conf-vesa to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    cp: cannot create regular file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf': Permission denied
    Anyway, now I'm confused as to how to boot. As far as I can tell it has something to do with the video drivers? Can somebody please refer me to reading material that will assist me with this problem?

Thank you for your help.
    Are you trying that as root?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln View Post
    Are you trying that as root?
    Forgive my ignorrance, as you can tell because I am in the n00b forum, I'm pretty new to this.

I assume what you're asking is if I am using the default username and password?

When I was installing BT4 with the LiveCD installer, it asked me what I want to log in with. I made a username and password at that time.

root/toor does not work to login anymore, however I am able to login with the username and password I was requested to make on install.

Is that bad? Should I have just kept it root? Or are you referring to something completely different?

Thank you for your time.

Hello,
    read this:
    h tt ps://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="2"]Nought's had, all's spent, ... Where our desire is got without content
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by h1jack~~d(^_^)b View Post
    Hello,
    read this:
    h tt ps://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
    Thank you for your help.

I didn't realize this whole "sudo" thing. It seems a little stupid and redundant, but I guess it has its reasons.

Anyway, now I was able to use:
    Code:
    sudo fixvesa
    And it worked! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunked View Post
    Forgive my ignorrance, as you can tell because I am in the n00b forum, I'm pretty new to this.

I assume what you're asking is if I am using the default username and password?

When I was installing BT4 with the LiveCD installer, it asked me what I want to log in with. I made a username and password at that time.

root/toor does not work to login anymore, however I am able to login with the username and password I was requested to make on install.

Is that bad? Should I have just kept it root? Or are you referring to something completely different?

Thank you for your time.
    You need to set the root password. Check out the up and running with BackTrack site or just search it out on the forum.