Hi all,

I've got a little doosie here. I installed BT4 Pre-Final on a USB flash drive but during the install I didn't change any settings regarding the installation of the Grub boot loader and thus Grub was installed on my Windows disk. I really don't have a problem with this because it will still allow me to get into Windows without incident except for one major problem: the USB drive must the plugged in for Grub to display a list of operating systems. Otherwise is halts the boot with citing an error (error 21 I think). So basically I can't boot to Windows without BT4 being plugged in while Grub lists all the OSs it can find.

I have read some stories about booting into the Windows recovery console and overwriting my boot sector with the Windows boot loader, but I was sort of hoping I might just be able to keep Grub from requiring the USB drive to be present and only showing a choice of OSs if the USB drive is present.

Does anyone have any ideas?

P.S. The machine Grub is installed on is a Win XP SP3 running on an ASUS Eee PC 1000HA.