Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wifi card doesnt work

Just burned his ISO

Default wifi card doesnt work

not sure exactly the name because ubuntu always get's it wrong (but it works (at least now it does)) but I do know it's an atheros 80?? abg and it's on a compaq presario c700. Sorry i don't have much info and that's the only thing keeping me from installing too. Is there a fix for this? And why does the compaq website not tell me about what type of chip I have? Mainly need/want a fix for this though.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coolkehon View Post
    not sure exactly the name because ubuntu always get's it wrong (but it works (at least now it does)) but I do know it's an atheros 80?? abg and it's on a compaq presario c700. Sorry i don't have much info and that's the only thing keeping me from installing too. Is there a fix for this? And why does the compaq website not tell me about what type of chip I have? Mainly need/want a fix for this though.
    A good idea would be to use the model number off of your computer into google and look for more complete info before making a post.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

thats the problem everywhere I look this is all I get
    hxxp://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01296384
    I know the card is an atheros because when I had to install a driver for it hp gave me a driver install program for windows and it said it was atheros

thats the problem everywhere I look this is all I get
    hxxp://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01296384
    I know the card is an atheros because when I had to install a driver for it hp gave me a driver install program for windows and it said it was atheros
    OK here is what I did, I took your link and pasted into the browser, found model number then cut this and added wireless ubuntu into google and got this link
    Compaq Presario C751NR Notebook - Linux Forums
    This lead me to the second post which states "By the way Linux reports the Wifi as AR5006EG when it's actually the AR5007."
    So this again is a huge head start for you.
    Your next step would be to verify this information and then proceed from there.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Just burned his ISO

i'm aware of how to use google and i've been to that or one like it that states that linux identifies the card wrong (not sure if i said that already). I know that if i install madwifi it will work the only problem is how can i make it so that the live cd includes it so that it keeps me from having to install it each time.

also it was working before in bactrack 3 and beta 4. why is the kwifi manager disabled / not working and how can I re-enable it.

i'm aware of how to use google and i've been to that or one like it that states that linux identifies the card wrong (not sure if i said that already). I know that if i install madwifi it will work the only problem is how can i make it so that the live cd includes it so that it keeps me from having to install it each time.

also it was working before in bactrack 3 and beta 4. why is the kwifi manager disabled / not working and how can I re-enable it.
    It's not disabled, it's not installed. Mainly because it's a pos.

Just burned his ISO

noob question: what's a pos?

i'm used to programming a lot and it seems like position

noob question: what's a pos?

i'm used to programming a lot and it seems like position
    wow you guys are going to laugh. now that I think of it I remember doing ifconfig and it showed a wireless network so the problem is how do I start / connect to the network from commandline and i'm searching for it now but wanted to get your opnions/answers too

Well then if you can use google then you can find the name of the card much like I did. As I stated before you will need to verify that this is the case with your setup. See sometimes manufacturers will change suppliers of parts on a model run (due to various reasons).
    As for getting networking "started" you will need to enable the service.
    Here is a google link with relevant pages.
    As for the driver, If it is a AR2007 then there should be no problem with it what-so-ever in bt4 pf. I have one and it works just fine.
    POS
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Just burned his ISO

i started to use urban dictionary but i though the word would have had to many different meanings

ok now i'm back after learning a little more of stuff not related to this. So I've got some more time to mess with this.

Since the wifi manager has been uninstalled then how can I connect to a network via command line or is there an app that I can install to do this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast