Thread: Determining the encryption type of a file

Hybrid View

Default Determining the encryption type of a file

well here is the situation,, i have a zip file and along with it is the password but when i try to open the file it says the file is not identified or may be corrupt,, im guessing the file has been encrypted after compression,, i have the password but dont know what encryption scheme was used is there any way of determining what scheme could have been used..

just to get a good feel of the situation i uploaded the file so please check it out and let me know if any body is able to open it... i have achieved the password text along with the encrypted zip file you can get it from here RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

Looks like this is part of several archived files..

You wont get any data of this file alone.

Quote Originally Posted by =TAPE= View Post
    Looks like this is part of several archived files..

You wont get any data of this file alone.
    no it isnt... i just confirmed that its a single file and instead of using a password to secure the file the event organizers chose scramble it so that no password cracking tools could be used.. the challenge is to find out what encryption is used... the passpharse is given but the encryption scheme is not know...

the cipher scheme could be anything even Rot13,, so anyhelp ppl?

and not to worry nothing illegal is going on its just a challenge from the organisers of binary pirate event of Birla Institute of Technology,Goa.

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptid View Post
    no it isnt... i just confirmed that its a single file and instead of using a password to secure the file the event organizers chose scramble it so that no password cracking tools could be used.. the challenge is to find out what encryption is used... the passpharse is given but the encryption scheme is not know...

the cipher scheme could be anything even Rot13,, so anyhelp ppl?

and not to worry nothing illegal is going on its just a challenge from the organisers of binary pirate event of Birla Institute of Technology,Goa.
    Have you ever done the De-ICE challenges? There is at the end of one of those challenges that may help you.

Also, isn't a bit like cheating to be asking someone else to do the work for you? Would you give credit to everyone who has posted in this thread when you succeed?
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitsnik View Post
    Have you ever done the De-ICE challenges? There is at the end of one of those challenges that may help you.

Also, isn't a bit like cheating to be asking someone else to do the work for you? Would you give credit to everyone who has posted in this thread when you succeed?
    alright will check De-ICE out.. and why wouldn't i give credit?? its not like i am getting money for completing the challenge im just taking the challenges before hand to let the organizers know how difficult the challenge was so accordingly they will set the level at which the contestant will encounter the challenge...

Just burned his ISO

"im guessing the file has been encrypted after compression"

why canr it be tht u downloaded a corrupted file format .nd tht might be the reason its not working

Is there a program or method that can be used to analyze different sets of data to actually find out what program created it.

Or is there a human readable list of the different type of encryption / encoding with examples of the how the encrypted data. If you had a list of different encoding type you could visual match them.

Does any one know of such a tool or list? Is it even possible? If a such a list doesn't exist could we make one?
    Mathematical reasoning may be regarded rather schematically as the exercise of a combination of two facilities, which we may call intuition and ingenuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptid View Post
    well here is the situation,, i have a zip file and along with it is the password but when i try to open the file it says the file is not identified or may be corrupt,, im guessing the file has been encrypted after compression,, i have the password but dont know what encryption scheme was used is there any way of determining what scheme could have been used..

just to get a good feel of the situation i uploaded the file so please check it out and let me know if any body is able to open it... i have achieved the password text along with the encrypted zip file you can get it from here ------------
    Suspicious activity.Ask the real owner of that file.as this file does not belongs to you.no help in cracking encryption which does not belongs to you.