Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High power WLAN USB Adapter (eBay)

Some good points raised there, although maybe you should just buy another aerial, the card is really cheap and is supported "as is" which is hard to find

Just burned his ISO

i have a question did you get this 10 km with this card

Just burned his ISO

I have already buy the said wifi adapter from eBay. I will make some test and let you know once I received it.

Just burned their ISO

Exclamation Stick with the Alfa AWUS036H

I see my suspicions that this adapter is crap are being confirmed. First thing that really jumped out was the lack of real specs, like cards power - i am guessing that its 70mw tops. The second thing is the insistence that BT4 compatible cards are hard to find, they are not... I stick by my recommendation of the Alfa AWUS036H card, used mine for years under bt3 and bt4, works flawlessly, and its a high sensitivity AND high power card (500mw). There are a bunch of ebay listings for the Alfa AWUS036H that include a 9db antenna. Alternatively I can recommend Airlink ASB-10MA 10db omni which sells for under 20 bucks with free freight and gives pretty banging results. The 10Km range claim is absolute BS, especially with the originally mentioned adapter, it will not pick up a signal at that range let alone connect to it.

No the 10km aerial does not come with the card and I am aware that the claim is probably BS (If you bothered to read people's posts properly you would see that).

As for the power rating you are probably correct in thinking it is not 500mv but incorrect in saying its 70 tops. Please bear in mind this adapter is 3 times cheaper than those that you have recommended. Some people can't afford to spent an additional £40 on another wifi adapter because the one they have isn't fully supported by BT.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by SilvaRizla View Post
    Please bear in mind this adapter is 3 times cheaper than those that you have recommended. Some people can't afford to spent an additional £40 on another wifi adapter because the one they have isn't fully supported by BT.
    You are right my friend.

ebay: 500MW WIFI 802.11b/g 54M Wireless Lan USB Card RTL8187L

Free postage from international sellers for £18.20

It looks unbranded but should basically be the alfa awus036h

Worth a punt I think, I'll do a comparison test when it arrives and post back

I'm not an expert on this field but I don't think a similar chipset means similar range. It could also depends on amps, and other components used? (not to mention shielding, purity of copper wiring etc.)

I know, but as pictures of the board are using as far as I can tell the same components and it is also rated at 500Mw I thought I'd give it a go. If its only 3% less effective than an alfa but a hell of a lot better than this current one I'll be happy and we'll have found a middle ground between quality and price

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12