Thread: WPA 64-bit Hex Key

ilbert

Question WPA 64-bit Hex Key

(by mistake already posted this in the wireless section - didn't know about the newbie 3 day thing)

Hi,

I have been performing some experiments on my wireless router. I have successfully obtained a 4-way handshake using the aircrack suite. To verify this, I got into wireshark and filtered the EAPOL. As already specified, there were the 4 EAPOL entries.

My question is: Is there a way to obtain the WPA 64-bit HEX Key from the information I got in the cap file? Maybe some algorithm that needs to be performed?

I also read that using wpa_supplicant you can supply this 64-bit HEX key to connect to WPA network without knowing the actual password in ASCII?

This is my first post in the forum, so please excuse me if maybe there is already another similar thread. However I couldn't find any.

Thanks in advance

You may want to read this :

h**p://pyrit.wordpress.com/the-twilight-of-wi-fi-protected-access/

it outlines how wpa works.

If wpa was as easy to crack as you say it would never have been implemented as a security measure.

There are plenty of tutorials/posts regarding wep/wpa/wpa2 etc.

Read read read, all the info you need is already on this site/the net

Do not listen to the above poster D:

It IS possible to connect (complete the handshake) by using a pre captured handshake, however it is not possible to recieve any encrypted information, now you should know that there are actually a number of... discrepancies in the way WPA works, and that if you look close enough there may or may not be a way to cut cracking time in half.

ilbert

Thanks a lot for your replies.

TheLaw, the site you provided is really interesting indeed. Never found so much detailed information in any site.... thanks again

However, HitThemLow gave me some hope because that is exactly what i need, completing the handshake, because using brute force to try to guess the password is a matter of luck, a good dictionary and a number of years...

What do you mean when you say "cut cracking time in half"? You mean rainbow tables? Because using these would surely increase the passphrases per second, however you would need a lot of disk space to store all the possible passphrases and still would need a lot of time.

I found this: h**ps://mentor.ieee.org/.../11-00-0178-00-000e-a-proposal-for-ieee-802-11e-security.ppt where it explains everything using "simple" formulas. I thought I could do some code, however I still am not fully understanding what for example (g^x) and (g^y) are? Can anyone help on this please?

Much appreciated and thanks in advance...