Thread: Please help,for noob begginer

Just burned his ISO

Default Please help,for noob begginer

Hi, just to say i am a noob,, with a Linux system, so I need help).
    Downloaded "BackTrack 4 Final Release VMWare Image" and downloaded VMWare Workstation and 7,,, (and have Windows 7). Please can you show me a tutorial for the installation, I found a tutorial anywhere for the iso image and nowhere to VMWare Image,,, so PLEASE CAN YOU GUYS HELP me with this...

Default Re: Please help,for noob begginer

just unzip the file, and place it where you store your VM's. Im my case, I store them in a folder called "Virtual Machines".
    Open Vmware, click 'open', then direct it to the backtrack VMimage. i cant remember the file extension, but it doesnt matter, as it will only show the appropriate file to open.

Just open Vmware Workstation and you should see 3 options.
    Click on the one that says 'Existing Virtual Machine' or something like that.lt might take you directly to it.

Just burned his ISO

To install to HDD even though can easily be found on Google but anyways here we go. First you have to create a partition download Acronis or partition magic i think its called, teach your self how to use it then create two partitions from the existing free space on your HDD. one of them should be a EXT2 or 3 and the other a swap. make the swap like 1gb and the install partition 10gb a little on the big side but trust me if you want to install any additional programs will come in handy.

once done that bang in a live cd, boot up then follow the Tut in the how to section of this site. oh and when choosing what partition to install it on choose the manual setting and choose your created partitions, don't want it to take your whole HDD, which can be troublesome.

WM download virtual box, there are countless tuts on this topic use google.

Perhaps you should:

1) Find a Linux distro that's aimed at new users. Like Ubuntu. (Instead of a distro that's aimed at a very specific audience that you're seemingly not part of). [BT4 doesn't include a big red magic "H4x0r 1t n0wz!" button.]
    2) Take/Find/whatever some VMWare training, books, or tutorials.

If you didn't know how to swim would you climb up on the high tower and dive into the deep end of the pool? Because that's basically what you're attempting to do here....
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    If you didn't know how to swim would you climb up on the high tower and dive into the deep end of the pool? Because that's basically what you're attempting to do here....
    I like your analogy
    It works for the "I wanna use BT before I know Linux" method that I have been seeing lately.
    Common Knowledge: Username, "root". Password, "toor". "startx" gives you a GUI, and "fix-vesa" will fix BT if you have no GUI. Start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking start" and check your IP settings with "ifconfig -a". "dhclient" will automatically use DHCP for your IP. Google is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post

Heh, so using the search button is analogous to checking the pool for water before you were half way down.