Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not able to install bt4 pre to harddrive - lilo

Just burned his ISO

Question Not able to install bt4 pre to harddrive - lilo

Hello everyone!
    I have been trying to install backtrack 4 pre final on my harddrive for about 5 hours now without success.
    I cannot use the "ubiquity" method because everthing freezes after a minute, i checked this a couple of times so im sure its no temporary problem of any kind.
    I have also tried muts "BackTrack 4 Beta The Perfect Hard Disk Install v2" which involves using fdisk to create partitions for boot, swap and root then configure lilo and the fstab file.
    But when typing lilo -v it says that lilo is not installed, fine i thought and used apt-get install lilo to install lilo. I used the config file that muts sugested:
    boot=/dev/sda
    root=/dev/sda3

# bitmap=/boot/sarge.bmp
    # bmp-colors=1,,0,2,,0
    # bmp-table=120p,173p,1,15,17
    # bmp-timer=254p,432p,1,0,0
    # install=bmp

# delay=20

prompt
    timeout=50

# map=/boot/map

vga=0x317

image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label="BT4"
    read-only
    initrd=/boot/splash.initrd
    append=quiet
    This tells me that splash.initrd is missing, since i cant find it im clueless from here.
    I kinda feel that im missing something, because most seem to be able to use lilo -v without making any changes. The iso is downloaded from remote exploit and i downloaded it two times to double check that it really were missing.

Im new here so if i have broken some rules, i apologize! I'll be a good boy in the future! I promiss!

//Daniel, sweden

Quote Originally Posted by NeO[N] View Post
    Hello everyone!
    I have been trying to install backtrack 4 pre final on my harddrive for about 5 hours now without success.
    I cannot use the "ubiquity" method because everthing freezes after a minute, i checked this a couple of times so im sure its no temporary problem of any kind.
    I have also tried muts "BackTrack 4 Beta The Perfect Hard Disk Install v2" which involves using fdisk to create partitions for boot, swap and root then configure lilo and the fstab file.
    But when typing lilo -v it says that lilo is not installed, fine i thought and used apt-get install lilo to install lilo. I used the config file that muts sugested:
    boot=/dev/sda
    root=/dev/sda3

# bitmap=/boot/sarge.bmp
    # bmp-colors=1,,0,2,,0
    # bmp-table=120p,173p,1,15,17
    # bmp-timer=254p,432p,1,0,0
    # install=bmp

# delay=20

prompt
    timeout=50

# map=/boot/map

vga=0x317

image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label="BT4"
    read-only
    initrd=/boot/splash.initrd
    append=quiet
    This tells me that splash.initrd is missing, since i cant find it im clueless from here.
    I kinda feel that im missing something, because most seem to be able to use lilo -v without making any changes. The iso is downloaded from remote exploit and i downloaded it two times to double check that it really were missing.

Im new here so if i have broken some rules, i apologize! I'll be a good boy in the future! I promiss!

//Daniel, sweden
    Muts' install pdf is for the beta, not the pre final, they are very different. What kind of hardware are you installing to?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Default same problem

I am having the same problem, can't even find lilo.
    trying to install bt4 in vmware as a guest o/s

Just burned his ISO

Wink Install almost succeeded.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Muts' install pdf is for the beta, not the pre final, they are very different. What kind of hardware are you installing to?
    Hey Barry! Thanks for replying.
    Im installing on my laptop which is a travelmate 240. It only has 256MB of ram so i think this might be a problem to load ubiq.
    Im posting a link with it's hardware: hxxp://wwx.amazon.com/Acer-Travelmate-Laptop-Celeron-Drive/dp/B0001BFHZG
    Please add http and www since im not allowed to do this yet.

I have so far made abit of a progress: I got BT4 to my harddrive and it booted but when going to graphical, the system tells me that some files are missing.
    I will be working on this today, i'll let you know if some i achive something.

Hopefully i can solve this and come up with an alternative way to install bt4 pre final.

Daniel

Wow dude, spring for some more ram!! Are you trying to dual boot?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Wow dude, spring for some more ram!! Are you trying to dual boot?
    Hehe! So you're saying that it will be hard to run backtrack with 256MB? But however the amounth of ram, it must be possible to install backtrack to the harddrive. Im not upgrading my five year old laptop. It would be better to get a new.
    However.
    Muts guide seemed to work all but the part where i configure fstab and lilo/grub so do you happend to know where i can get more info about this? Im new to the boot linux process so i guess that if i know more about that, then i increase my chance to pimp muts guide abit.

Cheers! Thanks! Tack sċ mycket!

Just burned his ISO

I am running into the same issue. My old lt has 512mb of ram and I cannot load kde all the way before it crashes so I cannot run the install script.

Did you find a way to load bt4 pre manually?

Just burned his ISO

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    I am running into the same issue. My old lt has 512mb of ram and I cannot load kde all the way before it crashes so I cannot run the install script.

Did you find a way to load bt4 pre manually?
    Rhino,
    Im not having the same problem, i can start KDE thus it takes time to push buttons and access things. Im not able to start ubiquty(Might misspelled that) because the computer hangs.
    I thought if BT4 was installed i be able to get some more preformance. I think BT4 should run smoothly with 512mb of ram...
    Anyway.. Do you have some strange graphicscard which KDE might not be too friendly with?
    Im kinda guessing here.. Maybe i can help you out
    Better ask someone with better linux skillz
    Feel free to ask anything anyway.

Daniel

Just burned his ISO

Smile Howto install bt4 pre without graphical interface

There are a guide for howto install BT4 Beta to the harddrive without starting KDE. Is there any guidelines on how to do this in the same way for BT4 pre final?
    Would it be possible to alternate this guide: haxttp://wewewe.offensive-security.com/videos/backtrack-usb-install-video/backtrack-usb-install.html to install it onto a harddrive?
    Im wonder about the part where they use rsync to copy all the files, wouldnt it be the same if you target your harddrive insted?

Cheers!
    Daniel

Just burned his ISO

Default No lilo after ubiquity install!

The same issue here!
    Even if I ran ubiquity successfully, the lilo doesn't get installed!

I could really use a n00b text guide on setting up BT4 pre manually from a disk to the harddrive!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast