Thread: Thank you guys.

Question Thank you guys.

Hello everyone,First off I just want to introduce myself to the forums.With help from you guys on how to test for security, i have just successfully broke my own home network web key.(which is like no security, which i have found out)I'm in shock on how easy this was to do and how easy it would have been for someone to sniff on my traffic and get a lot of my personal information.Just with this wake up alone it has me wondering of other kind of ways someone could have access to my personal information and how it is done.(just for securing my own self of course)I am going to continue searching the forums and googling for answers,but if anyone would like to add there knowledge of where a noob should begin to learn how to do x attack and what is needed to be learned to pull off an x attack i would highly appreciate.(Just to to secure my own computer and information as i understand anything illegal is not condoned on these forums.)Once again i would like to introduce my self to the forums,appreciate the tool backtrack you guys offer, and I thank you guys for what you all are doing here.(basically what I'm asking is what is a good start off point to start learning some of the things you advanced guys know.)

Hmmm, OK, be a little careful when asking this, this question is fairly common here and can end up with you getting flamed and told to search the forums.

Anyway, what Id suggest is that you do the following:
    • Get familiar with Linux. Check the Linux noob thread and read from the most recent post backwards.
    • Then start following tutorials on stuff that interests you. There's lots on this forum, and elsewhere on the web. Reading around generally here will give you an idea of the high level specialty areas (e.g. wireless testing, web testing, software exploitation, etc), and you can focus in from there.
    • Then once you are comfortable with the tutorials, start reading books and articles and so forth to expand your knowledge, and try out the things you learn
    • Take some training/education if you can (University, Technical College, Professional training like the Offensive Security stuff)

Basically find stuff that interests you and go from there. Also have a look round the forums for similar threads and take note of the advice given there too.

Id also recommend reading the following to get your mindset right. People who do this type of work successfully often think in a very particular way, and it will help you to no end if you can think this way as well.
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    How To Become A Hacker
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

O.K. Gotcha,Sorry bout that.Read information in the links you provided in now I understand........Thank you for taking time out your schedule to guide me in the right direction, answer my question and providing helpful links.(reading now and will put it into action.) THANKS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MeX_latina View Post
    O.K. Gotcha,Sorry bout that.Read information in the links you provided in now I understand........Thank you for taking time out your schedule to guide me in the right direction, answer my question and providing helpful links.(reading now and will put it into action.) THANKS!!!!
    You're welcome. Good luck.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.