Thread: understanding root and sudo su

Just burned his ISO

Default understanding root and sudo su

Hi, so apparently I don't understand the commands that I've been using for the past week....I've successfully loaded BT4 to USB, and get my login and password. I login in using my credentials, then, I type in sudo su, get the root login, and do startx. Now, don't laugh too hard, but then I used the "Lock" feature, and it asked me for the root password when trying to log back in, which I've never set. Is there a default for this?

Thanks for any help!

CoMpuLs!^3

Quote Originally Posted by compuls1ve View Post
    Hi, so apparently I don't understand the commands that I've been using for the past week....I've successfully loaded BT4 to USB, and get my login and password. I login in using my credentials, then, I type in sudo su, get the root login, and do startx. Now, don't laugh too hard, but then I used the "Lock" feature, and it asked me for the root password when trying to log back in, which I've never set. Is there a default for this?

Thanks for any help!

CoMpuLs!^3
    No, there's no default root password. You have to set it.

Just burned his ISO

@compuls1ve
    So what commands have you been using for the past week?

Just burned his ISO

Well, I've been trying to get my wireless device to work, so basically I've been using start-network, iwconfig, ifconfig, and wpa_supplicant.....that's about it...I was just completely confused about when I logged in as "compuls1ve", then typed "sudo su", entered my password, used "startx" from the "root" login, then got locked out, as I haven't set my password for root yet. That's probably my next step, setting my "root" password. I'll be reading up on those posted links for Linux newbs, as this is my first loaded Linux OS. I'm partial to dragons....LOL.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by compuls1ve View Post
    Well, I've been trying to get my wireless device to work, so basically I've been using start-network, iwconfig, ifconfig, and wpa_supplicant.....that's about it...I was just completely confused about when I logged in as "compuls1ve", then typed "sudo su", entered my password, used "startx" from the "root" login, then got locked out, as I haven't set my password for root yet. That's probably my next step, setting my "root" password. I'll be reading up on those posted links for Linux newbs, as this is my first loaded Linux OS. I'm partial to dragons....LOL.
    Might me a better idea to download the dragon and use it on an easier distro, like ubuntu itself. Not saying you can't use BT but learning linux that way will be a lot harder and you will probably get sidetracked trying to hack your neighbors wep what with all the shiny specialized tools that have nothing to do with the fundamentals.
    Also have a look at
    man su
    man sudo
    Good Luck
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Default sudo startx

After you log in before you startx try : sudo startx and enter your password again. It is not prefered to always run as a super user but whatever makes things easy right. It is just a machine and you have nothing to hide right?