Thread: How long does it takes u to get comfortable with BT?

Just burned his ISO

Default How long does it takes u to get comfortable with BT?

Hi I'm new to the forum and was wondering how long does it takes the average person with moderate computer knowledge to master BT, 2,3,5 years? I screwed up in HS when I thought "f@ck computer classes". It took me many years just to figure out windoz and I'm still typing with 2 fingers hehe. I feel like a deer in front of headlights after a few weeks into BT. I know my question is irrelevant but at least I would know what I'm getting into. Don't be afraid to tell me the hard truth, I'm willing to learn. And if u guys ever consider adopting a student, I'm game. I don't eat that much neither lol. * *

Quote Originally Posted by busabling View Post
    Hi I'm new to the forum and was wondering how long does it takes the average person with moderate computer knowledge to master BT, 2,3,5 years? I screwed up in HS when I thought "f@ck computer classes". It took me many years just to figure out windoz and I'm still typing with 2 fingers hehe. I feel like a deer in front of headlights after a few weeks into BT. I know my question is irrelevant but at least I would know what I'm getting into. Don't be afraid to tell me the hard truth, I'm willing to learn. And if u guys ever consider adopting a student, I'm game. I don't eat that much neither lol. * *
    BT is a very specialized distribution of Linux, designed specificaly for people who work in Information Security and Computer Forensics. 99% of the applications in BT will never be used by the average PC user. So, not only is the water over you head, but you've wearing cement shoes.

Do yourself a favor. Start off with Unbuntu, another Linux distro, which is much more forgiving for a beginner to learn. Learn that, and learn it well, before you even consider coming back to BT. Learn the basics for a year or so; things like the command line, file and directory structures, and the intricacies of TCP/IP. After that, come back to BT if you want to start learning about computer security specialties.

This may help:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/new...ad-thread.html
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Personally after playing with BackTrack for almost 2 years I still feel like a student driver you're honking at from behind because they're driving too slow. I can drive, just not very fast . I keep all my notes in a large excel file that's close to 50 pages, mostly of commands for different programs because there is so much command line syntax that I forget from time to time if I haven't used a program in awhile.

Another point to bring up is BackTrack is a pentesting OS. I have only had experience playing around in my home lab. This reminds me of practicing for my Cisco certs, if I messed up, I could just wipe the config and start over. On a live environment things don't work like that, and the same applies to BackTrack. I have my first legal pentest coming up in the next month and some of the things you can do in your lab you can't do an in authorized pentest.

I would take Thorn's advice and practice on another Linux distribution until you feel comfortable with the command line. Then if you are really serious about BackTrack you should look into: Penetration Testing Training and Certification - BackTrack Training

Well thats kind of like asking how long is a piece of string. The answer will depend on how much knowledge you have now, what exactly you mean by "Master", and how quickly you learn.

First of all, you need to view BackTrack in the right way. BackTrack is really just a customised version of Linux with a really large number of penetration testing programs installed. So rather than looking at BackTrack like a single tool that you can master, you probably want to look at it like a collection of tools, where you only have to master the ones that interest you.

First of all you need to learn basic Linux usage so you can operate effectively in the BackTrack environment, and learning Linux is more difficult than learning Windows, especially since regular use of Linux focuses more on the command line and Windows focuses more on the GUI. Thorns suggestion was a good one for learning Linux.

Once you have done this then you can start on the particular tools that interest you. I wouldnt try and move to this step without being able to operate comfortably in Linux, everything will take longer if you try this. To pick particular tools to focus on, Id suggest you select areas of penetration testing that interest you (via reading tutorials, books, whatever), and then selecting tools that will help you. The books and tools will mention the tools that are relevant. Also, BackTrack also organises tools in the /pentest directory and the menus based on category, so once you know the areas that interest you, you can explore BackTrack for more tools that are relevant to that task.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

I believe that muts is working on a BT mastery test. Similar to the walking across rice paper without leaving a mark, snatching a pebble from the master's hand and picking up a 200lb burning hot cauldron with your forearms.

From what I heard muts' test will be more difficult than that.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I believe that muts is working on a BT mastery test. Similar to the walking across rice paper without leaving a mark, snatching a pebble from the master's hand and picking up a 200lb burning hot cauldron with your forearms.

From what I heard muts' test will be more difficult than that.
    Yes, and after you pass the test you can leave the BackTrack monastery and roam the world, solving crimes and righting injustice with your newly acquired pen testing skills.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Yes, and after you pass the test you can leave the BackTrack monastery and roam the world, solving crimes and righting injustice with your newly acquired pen testing skills.
    Which I'd be ok with, but have you seen the BT Monastic clothing you have to wear?

Some how a bunch of computer geeks in hot pink spandex and black tshirts doesn't sound appealing.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Which I'd be ok with, but have you seen the BT Monastic clothing you have to wear?

Some how a bunch of computer geeks in hot pink spandex and black tshirts doesn't sound appealing.
    I dont know, I think once you accessorise with the fluro yellow sandals and purple prayer beads it kind of works...

... picking up a 200lb burning hot cauldron with your forearms.
    This is probably a bad reference but I think of Beverly Hills Ninja where Chris Farley spills the hot cauldron all over everyone, that would be me .