Thread: Thinkpad Lenovo R61e Network issue

Just burned his ISO

Default Thinkpad Lenovo R61e Network issue

Hey guys,

Im new to backtrack and I currently have VMware Workstation with backtrack 3 and when i use the command airmon-ng my network card dosen't appear. Im thinking that the laptop isn't compatible but im just hoping it is and I just have a old driver. I also have a Linksys Wireless G Notebook Adapter with SRX400. I have plugged it in and installed the CD it came with again thinking i need a new driver, but this one is also not seen. If anyone has these network cards or laptop and is working fine could you tell me what im doing wrong? Thanks alot!

The issue isn't the laptop, the cards, or even the drivers for that matter. The problem is the VM. BT within a VM does not recognize the wireless devices, due to the fact that BT can't get to the hardware directly. The same separation that the VM provides from other OSs, also separates it from hardware. The only wireless devices that will work under a VM, are USB. This is repeatedly stated in a number of places in these forums, and a search should have revealed this to you.

You have two choices:
    1. Get rid of the VM. Alternatives are the BT LiveCD, BT on a USB drive, or a bootable HD partition for BT.
    2. Obtain a USB wireless device, which will work under the VM.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

Ok thank you alot man, but how do I make BT LiveCD I know its probably a stupid question but i never saw that VM didn't use anything but USb that helps alot would anyone mind sending me a private message or posting it here of what to do. Thanks alot again. This is why im in the newbie section I should probably go to the idiot one rofl.

well if i burn the backtrack 3 iso to a DVD when i put the DVD in backtrack will just boot up or do i need to install another program?

You need a CD burner program capable of burning ISOs onto a DVD and making it bootable. Most CD burner applications will do that.

After that, you need to set the PC to boot from the CD drive, and the CD drive has to have precedence over the HD. Then, insert the DVD into the drive and viola! you've started BT3.

Nothing personal, but if you don't know these basic computer steps, BT is going to be pretty useless to you. Start off with a simple Linux distro (e.g. Ubuntu), learn the basics, and then move to BT if you want to learn Infosec tools.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

Oh im an idiot rofl I knew that stuff ok thought it was harder then that. Also one more question when backtrack 3 is booted up where does all the data save too??? The CD or on the HD? Oh also do I need to install a driver for the network card on backtrack 3 or should be already set? Thanks alot again

Would booting BT3 from the CD effect my windows xp operating system at all? Thanks thats just a precaution question.

Just burned his ISO

Ok nevermind I did some more reading and answered my own question. Thanks alot for the help Thorn!