Thread: Cuda Worth It For Me?

Just burned his ISO

Default Cuda Worth It For Me?

Ok guys,

I apologize for a newbie related question. My laptop that I would like to use for pen testing does not support the nvidia cuda cards and naturally thats not something I'm going to find PCMCIA. Would it be worth it for me to buy a nvidia 260 CUDA card and keep that in my powerful desktop and just do captures with the laptop and use the desktop to do the cracking?

Or should I just forget about it and let the laptop do it with just the processor power? What makes sense to you guys is it worth the extra $160 in this scenario? If I ran backtrack on vmware on desktop would it be able to see the 260 CUDA card?

Knox9

Developer

Would it be worth it for me to buy a nvidia 260 CUDA card and keep that in my powerful desktop and just do captures with the laptop and use the desktop to do the cracking?
    Depends on if you actually have a need to speed up the attack on a capture.

Or should I just forget about it and let the laptop do it with just the processor power?
    This is pretty infective but YMMV

What makes sense to you guys is it worth the extra $160 in this scenario?
    Once again it depends on the need. I have thousands of dollars invested in a cuda box but that's because I have a need for it and it greatly improves my ability to meet those needs. The other problem with this statement is that 160 dollars is a lot of money to some people and hardly any to others.

I always say that working with substandard hardware will normally get you substandard results but like I said that's coming from a guy with a job who doent mind spending money on good hardware. Most wanna be hax0r kids these days would rather spend their mommy and daddies cash on meth or 200 dollar shoes.

If I ran backtrack on vmware on desktop would it be able to see the 260 CUDA card?
    The short answer is NO

Just burned his ISO

thanks for the reply pureh@te. So your capturing with one pen test box/laptop and saving the capture to the dedicated cuda box for cracking? What gpu's are using currently?

With my desktop cuda box would it work if I used a livecd or usb install of backtrack or would I need to dual boot or use hyperv to take advantage of the cuda gpu?

Anyone know if backtrack works on hyper-v? thanks

Developer

I have a server which uses 3 295 gtx cards. I built a web interface so I can easily upload from anywhere. This makes it easy to capture with something very small like a eeepc and upload from a client site to the server back at the ranch. This is more extreme than the average person would need.

Yes your gpu can work with a live cd. I have no clue on hyper-v