Thread: WICD- a little help please

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default WICD- a little help please

At the run command, I type in wicd and up comes a list of available networks. Some use encryption (mine) and a few others do not. I click on mine, expecting to have to insert my pass phrase, and instead I receive a message" This network requires encryption to be enabled". As a matter of fact they all give this same message. It did not matter if the available networks were secured or unsecured.So my question is how do I solve this problem and get on the internet using my network?

Thank You!

Quoth the Raven,*********

Default Re: WICD- a little help please

Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    At the run command, I type in wicd and up comes a list of available networks. Some use encryption (mine) and a few others do not. I click on mine, expecting to have to insert my pass phrase, and instead I receive a message" This network requires encryption to be enabled". As a matter of fact they all give this same message. It did not matter if the available networks were secured or unsecured.So my question is how do I solve this problem and get on the internet using my network?
    Pulled from WICD's website:

Code:
    Configuration of Wicd is extremely simple, and automatic for wired clients. To configure a wireless connection:

1. Open the Wicd network manager in Applications > Internet > Wicd Network Manager (you may also click the tray icon if present).
    2. See if the wireless network you're looking for shows on the list. If it is a hidden network, click the down arrow next to the Network button, and type in the ESSID of the network.
    3. If the network you want to connect to is listed, press the "Connect" button next to it.
    4. If you get the message "This network requires encryption to be enabled." hit OK, then click the arrow next to the network name.
    5. Hit the "Advanced Settings" button.
    6. Check the "Use Encryption" checkbox, choose your encryption type and type in the key. You may also assign a static IP or DNS in here, but most users will not need to.
    7. Hit OK.
    8. Now hit connect again. This time the connection should come up relatively quickly.
    9. If you plan to use this connection all the time, consider pressing the "Automatically connect to this network" checkbox. You have to open the arrow next to the network name to choose it.
    Wicd on Ubuntu - Wicd Wiki

Little bit of "Google-Fu" will get you far.
    Common Knowledge: Username, "root". Password, "toor". "startx" gives you a GUI, and "fix-vesa" will fix BT if you have no GUI. Start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking start" and check your IP settings with "ifconfig -a". "dhclient" will automatically use DHCP for your IP. Google is your friend.

Just burned his ISO

Yes, thank you Micole. Could the arrow be any smaller!!!!!!!!

Quoth the Raven,*********

Just burned his ISO

For example...
    the network in wicd is: > AcсessPoint 25% WEP/WPA 00:11:22:33:44:55
    just click on that text in wicd, and advanced settings will open.