Thread: Thanks (Backtrack Team)! Why?

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up Thanks (Backtrack Team)! Why?

Well first of all,
    thanks to keeping kde3.5 until pre-release.
    I would like if you keep it, but there are rumors that the final release will be with kde4.

But I am not here to talk about themes or styles.

I am here to give you my personal thanks because ppa.pearsoncomputing.com is down...

This is NOT a howto upgrade a ubuntu-server to Backtrack4. As the Team tell us, that is stupit because the kernel is designed for all tools.
    Again I will not recommend a ubuntu-server to Backtrack4, but if you really like KDE3.5 and you are using a Ubuntu-Server, you can install kde3.5 and using your mom language...

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by rakzhodekams View Post
    Well first of all,
    thanks to keeping kde3.5 until pre-release.
    I would like if you keep it, but there are rumors that the final release will be with kde4.
    There is a poll in the forums about what release of kde the community would like to see in bt4 final. 5 votes on kde3.5, 0 on kde4. So i guess we will have kde3.5 around for a while

Just burned his ISO

just to explain in more detailed why ppa.pearsoncomputing.com is down:

If you go with your browser it works well, but if we try to get kdebase it tell us that kdebase is too much old and we can -f (force) it, or i couldn't... so i echo the offensive-security repo to my /etc/apt/source.lst only to get kdebase and all libs that have dependecies..

This is incredible, but BT team are the only repo in the world that have kdebase3.5 online

There is a poll in the forums about what release of kde the community would like to see in bt4 final. 5 votes on kde3.5, 0 on kde4. So i guess we will have kde3.5 around for a while
    Really?

Good to know that!

One more vote.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Snayler View Post
    It was hardly a fair vote Snayler, the poll was closed quickly. I would have voted KDE4, not that there is anything wrong with 3.5 but I really like the dolphin file manager and the KDE3 version didnt work properly when I tried it on another distro.

Developer

The poll was closed because it was opened by a member and not by us. As I explained in that posting there were to many things which did not work with bt4. Since most people only use a handful of backtrack tools they may not have noticed but we as a team test every tool extensively to make sure that they work properly. So once again for the people who didnt understand the other 5 times I have been through this. We tried kde4, we really did and IT DID NOT WORK UP TO OUR STANDARDS. Maybe it will improve in the future but as of now it does not suit our needs. What are our needs? To be the most fearsome pentesting distro on earth and frankly the window manager and desktop are fairly low on the list of priorities.

Agree with pureh@te.I always considered this distro as "serious linux machine built for serious pen-testing" so never paid too much attention to looks & feel like MS technology & I don't see any reason of using KDE4 instead of KDE 3.5 with the view of pen-testing.

Quote Originally Posted by wepkeme View Post
    It was hardly a fair vote Snayler, the poll was closed quickly. I would have voted KDE4, not that there is anything wrong with 3.5 but I really like the dolphin file manager and the KDE3 version didnt work properly when I tried it on another distro.
    Although it was closed quickly, 5-0 is a implicit result, statistically speaking. And besides, most of the devs, if not all, would like to continue using kde3.5. And more, i think that a fancy environment all beautiful and vista like would consume more resources than a not so good looking one. After all, in a security distro, speed is a very important thing. But don't get mad at me, it's only my opinion. And there is a way of getting kde4 on bt4, but then you would have to pay the devs. Well, we can't have everything for free, right? Or you could install it yourself. Maybe if you had success you could post a tutorial for people who prefer kde4

PS: KDE3.5 also has Dolphin file manager. I'm almost sure i saw it today in my bt4 installation.

Just burned his ISO

Well i just ask if you please (BT4 TEAM) can add bt-crystal theme :P from the beta version.. it was really cute and faster!