Ok, this is my first tutorial, so I'll try to be as clear as possible.
Last week was like a struggle to make vmware tools work with the new kernel (2.6.30.5). I finally managed to get it working, so i decided to share my experience and the solutions i found to my situation.

I started trying to update kernel because I never managed to get the auto-fit guest feature to work with the new kernel (now i know that the problem was from the graphics drivers, but i'll get to that later)

So, for start, use muts tutorial to update the kernel:

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install -d linux-image
cd /var/cache/apt/archives/
dpkg -i --force-all linux-image-2.6.30.5_2.6.30.5-10.00.Custom_i386.deb
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get install madwifi-drivers
apt-get install r8187-drivers
(reboot)
fix-splash
uname -a (and check if 2.6.30.5 appears)
Next, you will need to install linux-sources

Code:
apt-get install linux-source-2.6.30.5
cd /usr/src/
tar jxvf /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.30.5.tar.bz2
rm -f /usr/src/linux
ln -s /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.30.5 /usr/src/linux
After this, i tried installing vmware tools but it complained about not having linux headers.
The next part, I'll give full credits to muts, because he was the one who told me how to get around the "linux headers needed" problem (thanks again, muts!):

Code:
cd /usr/src/linux
zcat /proc/config.gz > .config
make scripts
make bzImage (let it run for like 20 secs and then CTRL+C it)
ln -s /usr/src/linux /lib/modules/2.6.30.5/build
After this steps, your kernel should be ready for vmware tools installation.
After this, auto-fit guest feature wouldn't work for me, so i reverted to the old kernel, and later I discovered how to get it working. Haven't tested it yet with the new kernel... But it should work! For those who auto-fit guest won't work, just do the following:

Code:
kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Look for this line:
Code:
# **********************************************************************
# Graphics device section
# **********************************************************************
And replace the following lines (until endsection) by this:
Code:
Section "Device"
	Identifier	"VESA Framebuffer"
	Boardname	"vmware"
	Busid		"PCI:0:15:0"
	Driver		"vmware"
	Screen	0
EndSection
That should be it, logout, startx, wait a while, got to view > fit guest now (or resize your vmware window)

EDIT:
There is still a problem with the background wallpaper (it gets tiled when the guest autofits the vmware window). I'm still working on that, seems that it is a KDE problem. If somebody knows the answer, please post. I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks for reading, and sorry for my english. Feel free to correct/criticize my tutorial!