Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why shouldnt backtrack be my main os ???

Good friend of the forums Eatme's Avatar

why would u want ur main OS to be BT.. ? ha ha
    Wiffy-Auto-Cracker - was the best thing that ever happen to me. :) Wo0oT :)
    AWUSO36H_500mW_5dBi Antenna

you'll get a normal ubuntu kernel without all of the specialy patched network drivers required for all the fun stuff you can do with backtrack

you'll still have the programs but nothing backtrack related will work right except for sniffing
    Just cause I don't have ten thousand posts don't mean I'm a newbie or a Idiot ! :cool: The only dumb question is the one you don't ask Google first! ;) The biggest problem I had as a Linux newbie was I didn't know to ask Google the right questions!:eek:

Quote Originally Posted by dlradlt View Post
    you'll get a normal ubuntu kernel without all of the specialy patched network drivers required for all the fun stuff you can do with backtrack

you'll still have the programs but nothing backtrack related will work right except for sniffing
    Thats in response to the question about what would happen if you use the Ubuntu repos to do an update right?

The BT4 Beta release used the Ubuntu repositories, and I believe the kernel was pinned to prevent the Ubuntu one overwriting the BT one. Is that's still the case in BT 4 Prefinal the kernel shouldn't get overwritten.

Supposing it did though....Its hard to say exactly what would happen if the Ubuntu kernel was used instead. For sure you would miss out on the extra injecting patches added in the BackTrack kernel. You might also run into some incompatibilities with particular versions of the GNU system libraries that might stop certain things working (like your system booting for example ) although this is probably unlikely since the same Ubuntu packages are used in BackTrack.

Most likely the system would work more or less as before apart from the injecting stuff. Most normal Linux binaries should still work.

Quote Originally Posted by Eatme View Post
    Is that a joke or did you just completely miss the point of this thread?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post

Is that a joke or did you just completely miss the point of this thread?
    He also seems to be missing his shift key, and doesn't know where spell check is in Firefox....

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Eatme View Post
    This is your last warning. Ever since you have arrived on this forum you have been a obnoxious pain in my ass. I have tried really hard to be nice to you and even help you in some situations but you continue to act like a fifteen year old child. I have given you more chances than I have ever given any one person on this forum before they get banned but the nice streak ends right here. We were having a perfectly intelligent conversation with a new person the *knows* how to ask a informed question and furthermore knows how to take the answers we give him and actually apply them to his own knowledge. Then you step in and make a comment like this which makes you look like a idiot and makes our forum look bad. I love this forum and have been here for a long time and do not plan to go anywhere , anytime soon and I will do whatever I can to keep it from turning into a cesspool of morons and idiots like most Internet forums are.

You have been warned. There is no need to respond either and further derail this thread. Either do what I ask or take your toys and go home crying.

Quote Originally Posted by matcat View Post
    What happens when you do an apt-get udate and apt-get upgrade w/ Ubuntu repositories?

Matthew A. Todd
    It will install the noncustomized kernel and hose the patched drivers for injection for one and two.

So in other words backtrack isn't for newbies who want to drop a virus in and go .
    Just cause I don't have ten thousand posts don't mean I'm a newbie or a Idiot ! :cool: The only dumb question is the one you don't ask Google first! ;) The biggest problem I had as a Linux newbie was I didn't know to ask Google the right questions!:eek:

prowl3r

It can be run as your main OS but it is not advisable.

In addition to all those valid reasons you have been given here, it is supposed to be run as root, which is a bit risky with some applications.

Also, I like to test new things so I constantly add new repositories and packages to my main OS. By doing this with BT, something will sooner or later crash as the kernel is patched and you don't always know whether you are overwriting the wrong files or customizations.

This is why I have on my dell mini 9 windoze and on my dell mini 10 I have Ubuntu and Backtrack 4 PF dual booted.
    "If it's stupid but works, it's not stupid." - Murphy's Laws of combat, #2

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dlradlt View Post
    I can remember when it took days to download linux over my 9600 baud modem..
    Linux wasn't recommended then either...
    any other reasons????
    If you can remember this then you know the pain/joy that can come with using linux and its many flavors. Having said that you also know that if you can setup a 9600 baud modem then you can problem find your way around the distro and make things work that may not be to your liking. Unlike other people.
    Sometimes is is also a matter of support ( or supporting those who choose not to learn). If you read the idiot's corner you will find those people.
    But generally speaking I would think that as purh@te mentioned keeping work and play separate is probably one of the best reasons not to do so.

Any rate welcome to the forums enjoy your stay.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast