Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why shouldnt backtrack be my main os ???

Thumbs up Why shouldnt backtrack be my main os ???

I've been dual-booting backtrack4 and vista for a few months now. I keep seeing different post comments about not using backtrack as my main Os but I've never seen a reasonable explanation as to why.

Everything I've tried to make work has...

I've changed my vista boot-loader to default to backtrack...

I've updated to the latest backtrack kernal 2.6.30.5

Its got everything I need and works on all of my computers is stable Ect...

So why is it recomended not to use it full-time.

I'm seriously considering reformatting my Hd to rid myself of Microsoft entirely

I've been playing with linux since the early 90's and as far as i'm concerned its ready for everyone...

Microsoft keeps getting worse and worse while linux keeps getting better and better.

So why shouldn't Backtrack be my main Os?

All Comments Welcome

Thanks

DLRADLT
    Just cause I don't have ten thousand posts don't mean I'm a newbie or a Idiot ! :cool: The only dumb question is the one you don't ask Google first! ;) The biggest problem I had as a Linux newbie was I didn't know to ask Google the right questions!:eek:

backtrack be my main os ???
    you can use it as main OS.its all upto you and your need.its stable & robust OS.

nobody

just alot of comments about it not being recommended

so why isn't it recommended

Thanks again
    DLRADLT
    Just cause I don't have ten thousand posts don't mean I'm a newbie or a Idiot ! :cool: The only dumb question is the one you don't ask Google first! ;) The biggest problem I had as a Linux newbie was I didn't know to ask Google the right questions!:eek:

Cause its not regular distro or day-to-day usable distro for most of the newbies as for such purpose there are other flavors,like Fedora/Ubuntu etc.its specifically built, customized distro made for serious penetration testing.

Is that the only reason ?

I can remember when it took days to download linux over my 9600 baud modem..

Linux wasn't recommended then either...

backtrack is using almost the same build as 9.04 Ubuntu just a slightly different kernel build for the drivers. Every package I've tried that wasn't in the remote exploit repositories has worked as long as it was for the Ubuntu 8.10 9.04 builds....

As long as I don't do a apt-get update && apt-get upgrade with the Ubuntu repositories enabled it should be fine.

any other reasons????

Thanks

DLRADLT

Developer

well in the past we didn't recomend backtrack for a every day distro because it wasn't update able and we preferred it as a live cd or usb. With the jump to ubuntu and having our own repostories which we control that has somewhat changed. Most of the stuff you are reading may be pre-backtrack 4. At this point it could be a everyday distro if you wanted it to. I suspect people that use Backtrack for recreation would not understand the reasons of professionals to keep it separate. Backtrack is now at a stage where for the casual user its perfectly capable of being a every day OS. I personally will not use it for a every day OS because its really just a tool. I use gentoo every day with a minimal toolset and when I need more firepower I boot a backtrack VM. There are lots of other reasons like working with malware and stuff in backtracks environment which make it less that desirable for a every day OS. I think what I am getting at is some of us see it more as a boot disc of tools rather than a really l33t facebook/twitter machine. My final reason is that you never poop where you eat. By that I mean when working professionally you would never , ever want to keep client reports and other sensitive data on your attack machine. That is just plain stupid.

I Personaly use Backtrack as my one and only OS
    it works great
    www.myownremote.blogspot.com

As Pureh@te mentioned, there's less reason for not doing this now that there is a repository that can be used to keep the system up to date.

My personal reason for not using BackTrack as a day to day OS is that it hasn't been specifically configured for this purpose. The way in which this becomes a problem is that a lot of the little usability tweaks that have gone into another user focused distribution like Ubuntu are not present. This doesn't seem so bad at first, but after a period of daily use it can begin to get to you. Sure its usually possible to fix each of these individual issues as you notice them - given some research and a bit of work - but this is not always the most productive (or enjoyable) way to spend your time.

If Im going to spend my time on learning something, Id rather it be something that's useful in my job and transferable to multiple environments, rather than something that might only be applicable to fixing a particular niggling usability problem on a particular version of BackTrack.

Edit: I made some other comments on this a while ago, which I just tracked down. They are here:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/new...ng-root-2.html

Edit: And I also agree with what pureh@te said about keeping your attack/malware analysis system separate from your normal work system, however I personally keep these separate no matter what OS I am using for attack/malware analysis. Because of this I don't personally see this as a reason not to use BackTrack as a regular use OS, but I understand why pureh@te is making that distinction.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by dlradlt View Post
    As long as I don't do a apt-get update && apt-get upgrade with the Ubuntu repositories enabled it should be fine.
    What happens when you do an apt-get udate and apt-get upgrade w/ Ubuntu repositories?

Matthew A. Todd

Smile

Now I understand why

Backtrack is a tool in my case its a full service tool that works better than my old one MS Doze. It also has the added bonus of having a whole bunch of security auditing tools. that I never had the time to learn about on the job since most of my employers were only interested in my MCSE A+ certification period... weird thing is I got my start as a tech running a BBS as a hobby went to work for my ISP and ended up supporting windows. now things have gone full circle and my unix skills have gotten rusty so I'm out to change that and what better way to learn relearn those skills than by doing. I taught myself everything I know by doing it myself not by sitting in a classroom falling asleep during lectures. computers have always been a toy hobby passion job for me and probably always will be.

So I would like to thank everyone who has commented and look forward to anyone else's point of view.

Thanks
    DLRADLT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast