Thread: Why shouldnt backtrack be my main os ???

Hybrid View

Thumbs up Why shouldnt backtrack be my main os ???

I've been dual-booting backtrack4 and vista for a few months now. I keep seeing different post comments about not using backtrack as my main Os but I've never seen a reasonable explanation as to why.

Everything I've tried to make work has...

I've changed my vista boot-loader to default to backtrack...

I've updated to the latest backtrack kernal 2.6.30.5

Its got everything I need and works on all of my computers is stable Ect...

So why is it recomended not to use it full-time.

I'm seriously considering reformatting my Hd to rid myself of Microsoft entirely

I've been playing with linux since the early 90's and as far as i'm concerned its ready for everyone...

Microsoft keeps getting worse and worse while linux keeps getting better and better.

So why shouldn't Backtrack be my main Os?

All Comments Welcome

Thanks

DLRADLT
    Just cause I don't have ten thousand posts don't mean I'm a newbie or a Idiot ! :cool: The only dumb question is the one you don't ask Google first! ;) The biggest problem I had as a Linux newbie was I didn't know to ask Google the right questions!:eek:

backtrack be my main os ???
    you can use it as main OS.its all upto you and your need.its stable & robust OS.

nobody

just alot of comments about it not being recommended

so why isn't it recommended

Thanks again
    DLRADLT
    Just cause I don't have ten thousand posts don't mean I'm a newbie or a Idiot ! :cool: The only dumb question is the one you don't ask Google first! ;) The biggest problem I had as a Linux newbie was I didn't know to ask Google the right questions!:eek:

Cause its not regular distro or day-to-day usable distro for most of the newbies as for such purpose there are other flavors,like Fedora/Ubuntu etc.its specifically built, customized distro made for serious penetration testing.

Is that the only reason ?

I can remember when it took days to download linux over my 9600 baud modem..

Linux wasn't recommended then either...

backtrack is using almost the same build as 9.04 Ubuntu just a slightly different kernel build for the drivers. Every package I've tried that wasn't in the remote exploit repositories has worked as long as it was for the Ubuntu 8.10 9.04 builds....

As long as I don't do a apt-get update && apt-get upgrade with the Ubuntu repositories enabled it should be fine.

any other reasons????

Thanks

DLRADLT

Developer

well in the past we didn't recomend backtrack for a every day distro because it wasn't update able and we preferred it as a live cd or usb. With the jump to ubuntu and having our own repostories which we control that has somewhat changed. Most of the stuff you are reading may be pre-backtrack 4. At this point it could be a everyday distro if you wanted it to. I suspect people that use Backtrack for recreation would not understand the reasons of professionals to keep it separate. Backtrack is now at a stage where for the casual user its perfectly capable of being a every day OS. I personally will not use it for a every day OS because its really just a tool. I use gentoo every day with a minimal toolset and when I need more firepower I boot a backtrack VM. There are lots of other reasons like working with malware and stuff in backtracks environment which make it less that desirable for a every day OS. I think what I am getting at is some of us see it more as a boot disc of tools rather than a really l33t facebook/twitter machine. My final reason is that you never poop where you eat. By that I mean when working professionally you would never , ever want to keep client reports and other sensitive data on your attack machine. That is just plain stupid.

I Personaly use Backtrack as my one and only OS
    it works great
    www.myownremote.blogspot.com

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by dlradlt View Post
    As long as I don't do a apt-get update && apt-get upgrade with the Ubuntu repositories enabled it should be fine.
    What happens when you do an apt-get udate and apt-get upgrade w/ Ubuntu repositories?

Matthew A. Todd

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dlradlt View Post
    I can remember when it took days to download linux over my 9600 baud modem..
    Linux wasn't recommended then either...
    any other reasons????
    If you can remember this then you know the pain/joy that can come with using linux and its many flavors. Having said that you also know that if you can setup a 9600 baud modem then you can problem find your way around the distro and make things work that may not be to your liking. Unlike other people.
    Sometimes is is also a matter of support ( or supporting those who choose not to learn). If you read the idiot's corner you will find those people.
    But generally speaking I would think that as purh@te mentioned keeping work and play separate is probably one of the best reasons not to do so.

Any rate welcome to the forums enjoy your stay.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Not so long ago I suffered a hdd crash, one day before a project deadline as Murphy would dictate, and in desperation used my backtrack usb external as a platform to complete the project.

I've been running BackTrack as the "primary" OS, still on the external, ever since as I haven't had the time yet to install a new hlfs system.

I have to admit I'm very impressed with backtrack , but have to admit that it does have some shortfalls when used as your primary development platform.