Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to change the computer name / Hostname ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln View Post
    I have a VMWare image and a hard disk install and they both save changes to the host name file after reboot. Both are BT4PF. Maybe you need to try another USB install? Which tutorial did you use?
    I think you're right. This is the guide I used:
    Backtrack 4 – USB/Persistent Changes/Nessus | Infosec Ramblings

Basically:
    1. Partition the drive in 1/2. 1st half is fat32, 2nd half is ext3. (I used gparted for this)
    2. UNetbootin the iso onto the first partition
    3. Run this command on the second partition to give it the right label: mkfs.ext3 -b 4096 -L casper-rw /dev/sdb2
    4. Edit the boot menu(menu.lst) like this:
    title Start Persistent Live CD
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper persistent rw quiet vga=0×317
    initrd /boot/initrd.gz

Quote Originally Posted by IAMZOMBIE View Post
    I think you're right. This is the guide I used:
    Backtrack 4 – USB/Persistent Changes/Nessus | Infosec Ramblings

Basically:
    1. Partition the drive in 1/2. 1st half is fat32, 2nd half is ext3. (I used gparted for this)
    2. UNetbootin the iso onto the first partition
    3. Run this command on the second partition to give it the right label: mkfs.ext3 -b 4096 -L casper-rw /dev/sdb2
    4. Edit the boot menu(menu.lst) like this:
    title Start Persistent Live CD
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper persistent rw quiet vga=0×317
    initrd /boot/initrd.gz
    I never did a USB install (embarrassed lol). I followed the guide you posted and you are correct, the hostname file no matter what you change it to will always reverts back to "bt" after reboot.

Simple solution, make a new file ex: /ect/hostname1 and put your hostname in. Then edit the start up script (/etc/init.d/hostname.sh) to cat hostname1. Reboot and it stays.

Going to tinker a little more with it, will edit my post if I come up with something better. Maybe someone else might be able to elaborate a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln View Post
    I never did a USB install (embarrassed lol). I followed the guide you posted and you are correct, the hostname file no matter what you change it to will always reverts back to "bt" after reboot.

Simple solution, make a new file ex: /ect/hostname1 and put your hostname in. Then edit the start up script (/etc/init.d/hostname.sh) to cat hostname1. Reboot and it stays.

Going to tinker a little more with it, will edit my post if I come up with something better. Maybe someone else might be able to elaborate a little more.
    Making "hostname1" and editing the hostname.sh script is genius! Thank you!!!!
    So simple, but so genius.

Yeah I'm wondering if everyone has this problem and just no one is changing the computer name, or maybe unetbootin is causing the problem?

Everything else seems okay for me. I can install apps and they stay installed, etc. Weird issue.

Thanks again for your help Lincoln!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12