Thread: Help - Want to Install BT4 over my Ubuntu

Just burned his ISO

Hey guys, I am trying to install the latest BackTrack 4 so that it completely replaces my Ubuntu 8.04 version. Actually, a friend of mine installed Ubuntu for me over my Windows XP because I had gotten a lot of viruses.

Can some one please explain to me how to install BT4 so that it completely replaces my ubuntu, and YES I have download the bt4 from this website. Thanks..

Hi, I am trying to completely replace my ubuntu with the new BT4. I have downloaded the DVD Image. I just need to know where to go from this, I am a newbie after all.

Info : I dont have any dvd discs to burn the dvd image on, I dont have a USB drive larger than 512 mb..

My laptop has a 120 gb hard drive , and curretly there is no partition, my ubuntu is installed and I have 100.4 gb free space on the hard drive.

Please help , I have spent like 2 hours searching this site and google but I dont understand what the tutorials are saying.

Up and Running Backtrack 4 - Offensive Security

Info : I dont have any dvd discs to burn the dvd image on, I dont have a USB drive larger than 512 mb..
    Use the ISO with VMplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Shehryar View Post
    Hey guys, I am trying to install the latest BackTrack 4 so that it completely replaces my Ubuntu 8.04 version. Actually, a friend of mine installed Ubuntu for me over my Windows XP because I had gotten a lot of viruses.

Can some one please explain to me how to install BT4 so that it completely replaces my ubuntu, and YES I have download the bt4 from this website. Thanks..
    You already posted here: http://forums.remote-exploit.org/new...er-ubuntu.html

Just burned his ISO

yeah, sorry I thought this was a better area to ask...

Quote Originally Posted by Shehryar View Post

Hi, I am trying to completely replace my ubuntu with the new BT4. I have downloaded the DVD Image. I just need to know where to go from this, I am a newbie after all.

My laptop has a 120 gb hard drive , and curretly there is no partition, my ubuntu is installed and I have 100.4 gb free space on the hard drive.

Please help , I have spent like 2 hours searching this site and google but I dont understand what the tutorials are saying.
    I outlined a possible process to install BT4 without a bootable DVD or USB in the thread below, but be warned that its only a theory, I haven't tested it, and no one I know of has successfully managed to do it. You will probably have some difficulty working it out if you're not familiar with Linux already...

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/bac...ard-drive.html

Instead of extracting the BT4 ISO to a USB stick as I mentioned in port 10 in that thread, you would want to extract it to your systems hard drive somewhere (preferably to a partition that you could delete later after the install was done)

If you have specific questions about this I will answer them, but there will be no spoonfeeding, expect to have to put in some work to get this going.

Id suggest you instead just buy a DVD burner or 2GB or larger USB stick to use in installing BT4. They are cheap and it will be much easier.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.