Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Switch question

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by SephStorm View Post
    Thats a great idea!

Yes, Cat OS is the legacy OS. Good thing I checked before I purchased it, I would have been SOL. Now I just need Console Cables and AC cable.
    Console cables are easily made, and the AC cable should just be a standard type of power cord, which anyone that's been around computers for a while, should have them pretty much growing on their own in a closet somewhere.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Console cables are easily made, and the AC cable should just be a standard type of power cord, which anyone that's been around computers for a while, should have them pretty much growing on their own in a closet somewhere.
    That's the IEC 60320 (formerly IEC 320) C13/C14. C13 is the female socket on the cord, and C14 is the male plug on the equipment.

Personally, I think C13 cables mate and reproduce, just like coat hangers. I've got a storage bin full of C13 cords, and I swear there are more in there now, then I've put in there.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Yeah, I have extra power cables, but as far as making a console cable, idk... i'll take a look around, see if its worth the work.
    "You're only smoke and mirrors..."

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    That's the IEC 60320 (formerly IEC 320) C13/C14. C13 is the female socket on the cord, and C14 is the male plug on the equipment.

Personally, I think C13 cables mate and reproduce, just like coat hangers. I've got a storage bin full of C13 cords, and I swear there are more in there now, then I've put in there.
    I'm fairly certain that they reproduce as well, but I've never caught them in the act. Might be a good research study to conduct.

The trick that I do to get rid of them, is whenever someone comes and asks if I have an extra power cord I make them take 4.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Yeah, I have extra power cables, but as far as making a console cable, idk... i'll take a look around, see if its worth the work.
    It's pretty simple, and I'd posted the pinout in a previous thread you'd started a week and a half ago.

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/gen...tml#post150385
    Thorn

Remember that not everyone who works on computers makes cables. Once we do something and it becomes second nature to use, we think so for everyone else. Unless you worked on networks, you probuly have no idea how to make an ethernet cord. I had been working on computers for years before I even noticed an RJ-45 cord, much less knew what it was, how it worked or anything else about it.

I have neither the tools nor the experience in creating crosover cables, console cables or any other kinds of cables. it would be cheaper for me to spend three dollars to buy a console cable, than to buy 20 dollar crimpers, a bag of connectors and a roll of cables to try and make RJ cord out of. As much as I wish I could, now is not the time for that.

Remember that not everyone who works on computers makes cables. Once we do something and it becomes second nature to use, we think so for everyone else. Unless you worked on networks, you probuly have no idea how to make an ethernet cord. I had been working on computers for years before I even noticed an RJ-45 cord, much less knew what it was, how it worked or anything else about it.
    Okey dokey.

To me there's a disconnect someplace, but I'm not going to argue the point. I suppose there are people who claim to understand cars that have never done an oil change.

I have neither the tools nor the experience in creating crosover cables, console cables or any other kinds of cables. it would be cheaper for me to spend three dollars to buy a console cable, than to buy 20 dollar crimpers, a bag of connectors and a roll of cables to try and make RJ cord out of. As much as I wish I could, now is not the time for that.
    This really couldn't be much simpler. You buy a $4 DB9F adapter that takes no tools beyond a screwdriver, and assemble it according to the pinout. Then plug in a standard Ethernet cable, it's done. If you're still uncomfortable with that, then feel free to spend the $25-$30 for a console cable. <shrug> Either way, it's no skin off my teeth.
    Thorn

To me there's a disconnect someplace, but I'm not going to argue the point. I suppose there are people who claim to understand cars that have never done an oil change.
    please tell me, when a person working in a PC repair shop will work on a network cable?

This really couldn't be much simpler. You buy a $4 DB9F adapter that takes no tools beyond a screwdriver, and assemble it according to the pinout. Then plug in a standard Ethernet cable, it's done. If you're still uncomfortable with that, then feel free to spend the $25-$30 for a console cable. <shrug> Either way, it's no skin off my teeth.
    NEW Cisco Router Switch console cable RJ45 - DB9 Sealed - eBay (item 120454260555 end time Sep-29-09 08:42:02 PDT)

Same price. And I would still need the cable, and crimpers to take off the original RJ-45 connectors.

BTW, this is nothing personal. Just a discussion.

please tell me, when a person working in a PC repair shop will work on a network cable?
    I guess Thorn, myself and a few others here came from a different time in computers. When making our own cables was normal, and installing a card in a computer wasn't as simple as just plugging it in, but you had to set the proper IRQ and base address and then determine that it wasn't conflicting with anything else.

Computer tech has been dumbed down to the point that many people in the field today don't feel the need to learn how to do some of the most basic functions. Personally, I would want to make my own cable, just for the sake of knowing how to do it. Plus if you don't know how to make a cable, then how do you know if the cable you just grabbed out of a box is made correctly or not without comparing it to something else? Just the other day I pulled a factory made cable out of one of my boxes of cables and looked at it out of habit. It was a good thing I did because it was a cross over cable, not a normal one. Had I used it for what I was planning, it wouldn't have worked.

I'm also a big believer in having the correct tools for the job, I consider them an investment in my career, so if there's a new nifty tool out there that will make my life easier, I buy it. If I can build a cable with things I have on hand instead of having to wait a few days to order it, I do.

Ditto.

When setting up and diagnosing LAN issues. LAN issues are common in my PC business. I'd be pretty surprised to find a shop nowadays that doesn't do that, given the prevalence of LANs in most businesses and even most homes.

By all means, at that price, grab it! Normally those things run about $20-$30.

And I would still need the cable, and crimpers to take off the original RJ-45 connectors.
    You seem to be misunderstanding what's involved. You just plug a standard Ethernet cable into the DB9F-RJ45 adapter. There's nothing to cut or crimp.

Understood.

Streaker may have hit this on the head given that we are probably older than many of the people on this forum. Be that as it may, however, I'd wonder if your shop does any actual "repair" if you don't have basic tools like crimpers. Do you have any real electronic repair tools like oscilloscopes? Are the repairs simply tweaking software issues? Is any actual hardware repair done, or merely doing swap and replace of whole assemblies (e.g. a card) until the system works again?
    Thorn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast