Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Switch question

Default Switch question

Does the Cisco 2820 use the Cisco IOS? Im looking at the documentation, but all I see is references to the management console. What I am seeing here looks different than the console management ive been seeing.

Catalyst 2820 Series Installation and Configuration Guide - Catalyst 2820 Install/Config Configuration & Management* [Cisco Catalyst 2800 Series Switches] - Cisco Systems
    "You're only smoke and mirrors..."

All the Cisco Routers/Switches uses IOS/IOS XR only.the better place to ask this question will be cisco forums.

lol.

If I registered at every forum I had questions about thier products, I would have way too many accounts and passwords to remember.

i know there is a legacy configuation manager for some cisco products, and the guide mentions IOS nowhere, unlife in later models information. I dont want to purchase this model, and have it be useless for my purposes.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by SephStorm View Post
    lol.

If I registered at every forum I had questions about thier products, I would have way too many accounts and passwords to remember.
    That's what yellow sticky notes are for, duh!
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

The answer is no. The 2820 apparently uses the same OS as the Cisco "Catalyst" 1900's. The CLI has a similarity to IOS, but it isn't IOS. If I recall correctly, it was a legacy OS that Cisco kept after they bought the series from another manufacturer.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

You are talking about CatOS which is obsolete long back and also known as catalyst OS which came earlier in catalyst 5000,5500 series.I don't think its there in any of switch now on,as cisco started his own proprietary OS,cisco IOS.switches having that old CatOS is no longer in sale & kinda old technology.

Quote Originally Posted by SephStorm View Post
    Does the Cisco 2820 use the Cisco IOS? Im looking at the documentation, but all I see is references to the management console. What I am seeing here looks different than the console management ive been seeing.

Catalyst 2820 Series Installation and Configuration Guide - Catalyst 2820 Install/Config Configuration & Management* [Cisco Catalyst 2800 Series Switches] - Cisco Systems
    Some older switches use Catalyst OS (CatOS). To verify which switch uses what operating system you can login to Cisco with a CCO account (free), and check the latest software release for that model under support.

edit: see above

CCO login is not free unless you are cisco learning partner or cisco reseller.

Quote Originally Posted by secure_it View Post
    CCO login is not free unless you are cisco learning partner or cisco reseller.
    It is free, you can sign up for one. The functionality of what you can do with it is dependant on adding contracts etc., but you can still create one to download software.

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/applicat..._overview.html

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    That's what yellow sticky notes are for, duh!
    Thats a great idea!

Yes, Cat OS is the legacy OS. Good thing I checked before I purchased it, I would have been SOL. Now I just need Console Cables and AC cable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast