Thread: Help with extracting tcpdump data...?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Help with extracting tcpdump data...?

Hey everyone,

I'm using tcpdump to monitor the traffic on my router - very slick! Anyway, right now I'm using wireshark with a filter like this to pull yahoo chats:

data.data contains "Command=\"6" || data.data contains "Command=\"11"

This gets me the right packets, but it's very tedious to extract the actual chat session - ie, I have to do a 'follow stream' in WireShark and then copy and paste all of the chat texts to another document. In addition to that, it seems like the follow stream only pulls the current session so if the session had ended and another one started later I need to find a packet from the next session and follow that stream...

Is there a utility out there that will pull yahoo chats from these files in a nice format? Something like this:

user1: blah blah
    user2: blah blah blah

I have dozens of these files with huge amounts of chat data that I want to archive.

Thanks!

Just burned his ISO

Oh... I've also tried exporting the selected packets, but even when I select expand all the packet data doesn't seem to be exported - only the header stuff.

Try searching around the forum already? I'm sure theres some great scripters/coders that have made something of this calibur.
    "If it's stupid but works, it's not stupid." - Murphy's Laws of combat, #2

Quote Originally Posted by ajf3ajf3 View Post
    Oh... I've also tried exporting the selected packets, but even when I select expand all the packet data doesn't seem to be exported - only the header stuff.
    How were you running tcpdump to capture the data? What command line options were you using?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

msgsnarf or chaosreader may be able to reconstruct the sessions for you.

Good Luck...

Just burned his ISO

I'll look into those options... I've been using this:

./tcpdump ip host 192.168.168.109 -w ./cap.tst -s0

Quote Originally Posted by ajf3ajf3 View Post
    I'll look into those options... I've been using this:

./tcpdump ip host 192.168.168.109 -w ./cap.tst -s0
    Yeah OK. My first thought when you mentioned that you werent seeing all the packet contents was that you may not have captured all of the packet using tcpdump. Use of the snap length switch as you have done above should take care of that though.

Here are some other applications you could try to see if they assist in extracting the data you need. Some are Windows only, and I haven't tested any of them personally.
    NetworkMiner packet analyzer | Get NetworkMiner packet analyzer at SourceForge.net
    NetWitness - Total Network Knowledge&#8482 - Investigator
    Xplico - Internet Traffic Decoder
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.